cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Default Route Issue

imranraheel
Level 1
Level 1

I have two 3550 switches with HSRP and two Vlans, the configuration works fine .The only issue is Vlan1 can access internet with default gateway of HSRP VLAN 1 IP , but vlan 2 doesnt untill I change the gateway to point to PIX firewall.

I have checked there isnt any default route on the switch which seems to be the issue but how come than Vlan 1 access the internet , if thereisnt any route to point to internet. Any idea

5 Replies 5

Peter Paluch
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello,

Can you perhaps post the configuration of your 3550? Also please try to explain in more detail how is your network configured and where is the PIX connected. Your current description does not illustrate your present situation very well. Thanks in advance!

Best regards,

Peter

Attach is the configus, also i can see the default route but that for PIX vlan 1

Mohamed Sobair
Level 7
Level 7

Hi,

Please elaborate more on your current Network design?

1- why you dont have a default route pointing to the pix?

2- To which port the pix is connected on the switch?

3- what is all that BGP config for?

4- why do you have 2 HSRP Groups and what device participating in the HSRP groups?

4- why the ports part of VLan 2 in (dynamic-desirable) mode?

Kindly reply to help you better,

Mohamed

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Imran,

>> I have checked there isnt any default route on the switch which seems to be the issue but how come than Vlan 1 access the internet , if thereisnt any route to point to internet.

vlan1 has public address and it is advertised in BGP to the two eBGP neighbors this is enough to allow internet connectivity.

you may be missing a static route for return traffic of vlan2 on the firewall if it is on the middle.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Giue

I was able to see a default route on my configs

ip default-gateway 201.12.1.2

That the IP of PIX Vlan1 , how do i add a route for Vlan2 the VLAN 2 interface for PIX is 201.12.1.130

Also all my servers are connected to this switch as well as the PIX and internet is terminated to this PIX

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card