Views
Helpful
Replies

default switching method fragment free, store and forward

sarahr202
Level 5
Level 5

Hi every body

I just want to know what method shitches use by default to forward  frames.  Is  it fragment- free or store and forward or cut-through ?

thanks and  have a good day.

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

sarahr202 wrote:

Hi every body

I just want to know what method shitches use by default to forward  frames.  Is  it fragment- free or store and forward or cut-through ?

Sarah

All Catalyst switches use store and forward except the Nexus switches which i believe use cut-through for reduced latency.

Jon

View solution in original post

Ganesh Hariharan
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi every body

I just want to know what method shitches use by default to forward frames.  Is  it fragment- free or store and forward or cut-through ?

Store and forward method is the default which means a switch  buffers and, typically, performs a checksum on each frame before forwarding it on to ports.

Hope to Help !!

Ganesh.H

Remember to rate the helpful post

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

sarahr202 wrote:

Hi every body

Sarah

All Catalyst switches use store and forward except the Nexus switches which i believe use cut-through for reduced latency.

Jon

Ganesh Hariharan
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi every body

I just want to know what method shitches use by default to forward frames.  Is  it fragment- free or store and forward or cut-through ?

Store and forward method is the default which means a switch  buffers and, typically, performs a checksum on each frame before forwarding it on to ports.

Hope to Help !!

Ganesh.H

Remember to rate the helpful post

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card