cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Webcast-Catalyst9k

default username on cisco 3560x

Hi friends,

I am stuck at a very early stage in the configuration of 3560x switch. It seemed very unusual and that is the reason, I am posting it if anyone has seen this problem.

I configured basic config for line con 0 with login local.

and then I had just put "enable secret xxxxxx."

Now i simply logged out and when i tried logging in, it is asking for a username. Now the thing is that I had not programmed any username. I tried using just "." followed by my secret password, but it did not help.

any suggestions??

3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Purple

Hi,

login local means the router is waiting for you to enter a username and password and it will compare to the user/pass combinations it finds in various username xxx password xxx statements.

So in your case the only solution is password recovery to be able to configure a username/password.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps628/products_password_recovery09186a0080094184.shtml

Regards.

Alain

Don't forget to rate helpful posts.

Mohit,

On Catalyst switches, you just have to press the mode button ( showed on Alain's link ) before starting the switch and keep it until you see the rommon prompt.

Remember, Ctlr-Brk is for Routers

--Lessaid

Best regards,

before entering the command login local you must add following line at global

conf mode:

username cisco privilege 15 password cisco

if you already configured telnet session / ip try that to access your switch

other wise perform password recovery.

6 REPLIES
Hall of Fame Super Gold

cisco/cisco.

Otherwise, perform password recovery.

Purple

Hi,

login local means the router is waiting for you to enter a username and password and it will compare to the user/pass combinations it finds in various username xxx password xxx statements.

So in your case the only solution is password recovery to be able to configure a username/password.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps628/products_password_recovery09186a0080094184.shtml

Regards.

Alain

Don't forget to rate helpful posts.

Hi Alan,

Thanks for reply.

I tried diff combinations but nothing worked.

Also to add to the complexity here, i am using usb to serial adaptor to console the switch. Now with this stupid adaptor, most of the times, i cannot see the boot sequence where i can break and go to rommon mode. So i cannot do the password recovery.

The last thing i am thinking of is to reset as there is no great config to lose.

Mohit,

On Catalyst switches, you just have to press the mode button ( showed on Alain's link ) before starting the switch and keep it until you see the rommon prompt.

Remember, Ctlr-Brk is for Routers

--Lessaid

Best regards,

Thanks guys, I was treating it like a router.

but anyway, by the time i had read the reply about the password recovery realising its not a router, i had already factory default, which was ok.

But thanks once again and sorry for the late reply.

before entering the command login local you must add following line at global

conf mode:

username cisco privilege 15 password cisco

if you already configured telnet session / ip try that to access your switch

other wise perform password recovery.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content