Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Community Member

Dell blade server and 3750 issue

Hello!

We are running into an issue where we have connections coming from a Dell blade server into a dell switch currently and it works fine. We have 3750 10/100 switches we would like to use instead, but when we plug into those, there isn't any type of activity or indication of anything on the port on either side. It stays dark.

Funny thing is when we plug into a netgear it works fine, or plugging it back into the dell switch it works fine. anyone else every had this issue??

Thanks!

Ben

Everyone's tags (2)
3 REPLIES
Cisco Employee

Re: Dell blade server and 3750 issue

Ben,

From my experience, the Dell blade servers usually use Ethernet controllers that are fixed to 1Gbps - in other words, it is not possible to connect them to 10/100 Mbps switches because they will not link. There is, to my knowledge, no workaround - it is a deliberate design decision.

Is it possible that the Dell or Netgear switch is 10/10/1000 on its ports? That would explain why they work while the 10/100 3750 does not.

Best regards,

Peter

Community Member

Very helpful! Thank you! I'm not a blade server person, and didn't even check that. I will update when I find out. Thanks so much for that info!!!

Hall of Fame Super Gold

Didn't know this one until now.  Thanks Peter (+5)!

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content