Views
Helpful
Replies

Design - Network Switches Core/Distribution/Datacenter

amohammed
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Everyone,

i am seeking some design advice on a new network solution for a client.  The client is moving to a new building and would like a new network to support their existing sites.  The network is currently classified as a mid-sized network.

Here are some of the solution's requirements and details

about 13 building within a campus area connected via single mode fibre.

current user count is about 500 total

user growth is not significant for the next 5 years, but to be safe let say 1000 - 1500 users

current approximate number of 1Gb servers is about 40

approximately 50% server growth within the next five years

video and voice services to come onto the network

must be about to support 10G servers in the future

the core switch must be able to support a fair number of 10G ports (25-35 ports per switch)

one datacenter will be built for the entire network at present.  a backup site in the future

high availability of the network is critical (five nines)

the customer wants the core of the network to be future proofed, to support 40/100G links

currently there are four racks of servers

price is a factor as well

My dilemma is choosing the core and datacenter switches.  i did some reading on Cisco's smart business architecture for mid-size networks, which has one 4500 series core switch with redundant supervisor modules, line cards and power supplies.  this got me thinking about using a single Cisco Nexus 7010 switch for the core of the network, with redundant supervisor, line cards, fabric cards and power supplies instead of going with two chassis.  i am currently looking at a collasps backbone with core and distribution layers as one.

i got some more assurance from the below whitepaper

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/switches/ps9441/ps9402/ps9512/White_Paper_Continuous_Operations_High_Availability.html

so, should i go with dual chassis or single with redundant components?  dual chassis ---> more money

which datacenter switch is best suited for the environment? Dual 1G switches per rack.

Options

nexus7000--->nexus5000----->nexus2000 and connect the 10G servers to the nexus 5000 switches

nexus7000--->nexus2000 and have to 10G servers attached directly to the nexus 7000 switch

nexus7000---->3750-X  and have to 10G servers attached directly to the nexus 7000 switch

nexus7000---->4948E  and have to 10G servers attached directly to the nexus 7000 switch

regards,

Aleel

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Your Cisco Engineer should leverage for a SME on the area. Your request calls for some one-one-one interaction - not something to be done via phone, forum or email.

Regards,

Edison

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Aleel,

I recommend contacting your local Cisco Account Team. The System Engineer from such account will be able to provide an in-depth network design planning that will help you on making the correct decision during hardware selection.

Regards,

Edison

Hi Edison,

Thanks for the suggestion.  I did plan to discuss the solution with our local Cisco Engineer, but his specialty is more Unified Communications.  i guess he would have other resources that i can leverage thru him.  i wonder if Cisco's Planning, Design and Implementation Help Desk would be able to help?

thanks again,

Aleel

Your Cisco Engineer should leverage for a SME on the area. Your request calls for some one-one-one interaction - not something to be done via phone, forum or email.

Regards,

Edison

Hi Edison,

I see what you mean, thanks again...

regards,

Aleel

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card