cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Design Network with Core Distrbution 6500 or a 4507

network_team
Level 1
Level 1

Hi wer have just replaced 50 3500 xl with 22 x 4506 as access switches. We currently still have 2 x 4503 as core distrbution switches. We would like to purchase 6500 or a 4507. Does anyone have any recommendations. All we need them for is to connect the 22 4506 and then forward on as a layer 2 device. Someone told me i can do this with one 6500 with two superengines instead of 2 x 6500 with hsrp???????

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

jasonrandolph
Level 1
Level 1

Two sups will give you supervisor redundancy, but not physical chassis redundancy.

That really would depend upon your needs for uptime. Ideally dual chassis is better in case something catastrophic happens such as a power supply bursting into flames. Not hugely likely, but still possible.

The choice of the 4507 or 6500 series would depend on several things.

First off, which sup module are you looking to go with? The Sup 5 10GE on the 4500 series doesn't currently support full OSPF functionality per my last discussion w/ Cisco a couple of weeks ago.

Secondly the 6500 series would allow you to scale to 10GE closet links for access in the future should you need to. There are no 10GE line cards for the 4500s at this time.

6500's allow traffic bound between two interfaces on the same card to pass without hitting the SUP. 4500's require everything to pass through the SUP.

Then there is just plain throughput difference. There are 1.1 to 1 Port to ASIC cards available so that you have a lower over subscription rate.

The 6500s also allow you to use integrated service modules such as IDS or an FWSM, or even wan modules.

There is an obvious price difference, but the 6500 series seems to give more growth, raw throughput, and flexibility.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

jasonrandolph
Level 1
Level 1

Two sups will give you supervisor redundancy, but not physical chassis redundancy.

That really would depend upon your needs for uptime. Ideally dual chassis is better in case something catastrophic happens such as a power supply bursting into flames. Not hugely likely, but still possible.

The choice of the 4507 or 6500 series would depend on several things.

First off, which sup module are you looking to go with? The Sup 5 10GE on the 4500 series doesn't currently support full OSPF functionality per my last discussion w/ Cisco a couple of weeks ago.

Secondly the 6500 series would allow you to scale to 10GE closet links for access in the future should you need to. There are no 10GE line cards for the 4500s at this time.

6500's allow traffic bound between two interfaces on the same card to pass without hitting the SUP. 4500's require everything to pass through the SUP.

Then there is just plain throughput difference. There are 1.1 to 1 Port to ASIC cards available so that you have a lower over subscription rate.

The 6500s also allow you to use integrated service modules such as IDS or an FWSM, or even wan modules.

There is an obvious price difference, but the 6500 series seems to give more growth, raw throughput, and flexibility.

Thanks you have reassurred me i shall be purchasing 6500 cheers

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card