cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Device not showing in 3750 ARP

alaskaopen
Level 1
Level 1

I have an Avaya device that is not showing up in either the Mac-Address table or the ARP table. However, I have no filtering going on. The link status shows it is fully up. I am using a 3750 switch. Does anyone have any ideas on how I could get this device to work on my network? I heard that with some VoIP devices, they do not give out their MAC Address for security.

2 Replies 2

royalblues
Level 10
Level 10

MAc-address are not blocked othertwise the switch will never be abole to forward a packet

I think your avaya phone already has an IP configured due to which it is not generating any DHCP request so that the switch can learn them.

You can either ping the phone from the switch if you know the address or reset the phone to default configs so that the switch can learn the mac from the DHCP request

HTH

Narayan

Kevin Dorrell
Level 10
Level 10

I have never understood this thing about "with some VoIP devices, they do not give out their MAC Address for security." If they don't give out their MAC addresses, then how are you supposed to send packets to them at layer-2? Do they have some sort of back-door ARP mechanism?

Kevin Dorrell

Luxembourg

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card