cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Device won't link on 4507 but will on Catalyst Express

ROBERT ISAACS
Level 1
Level 1

I am testing out a Web Filter device and want to hook it up to my LAN so that I can configure it. I have completed the initial configuration with the console. When I hook it into my 4507 switch I get no link light and can't get at it. I hooked it into a Catalyst Express switch and got a link light. I went into the port that I had it plugged into on the 4507 and tested every combination of Speed/Duplex known to man and still no cigar. The manufacturer of the device does not have weekend coverage for trial devices so I can't check with them. I read their documentation and it says that the port is 10/100. The 4507 is a 10/100/1000 auto sensing port of course. Any ideas people?

Thanks,

RI

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

You are probably using the incorrect cable between the 2 . More than likely the card on the 4500 does not support auto mdix (auto-xover) while the catalyst express does . If you use a crossover cable it will probably work .

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

You are probably using the incorrect cable between the 2 . More than likely the card on the 4500 does not support auto mdix (auto-xover) while the catalyst express does . If you use a crossover cable it will probably work .

My bad Glen. I tried that too. I really appreciate your reply. Thanks! I read of something similar that said that maybe the device I am working with might not handle the POE and that POE is enabled automatically on 4500 ports. Do you know anything about that?

Thanks,

RI

I have never heard or seen POE interfering with whether a link comes active or not . Still sounds like a physical layer issue somehow.

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Message double posted.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card