Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

DF,GD,ED,LD confusion

When using IOS upgrade planner, if I follow cisco recommendation i should not upgrade any iso with a DF release...but is it still true if a release is marked as ED or GD or LD and DF ? Like 12.4(5)...marked as LD and DF. ?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Purple

Re: DF,GD,ED,LD confusion

A release is deferred because they have found numerous bugs cisco deems at least fairly substantial . Unless there is a specific feature you need in a newer release or "T" train it is advised to use GD or general deployment as this has been tested for bugs and stability. I believe GD is 12.3 mainline now .

7 REPLIES
Hall of Fame Super Silver

Charles

DF is DF no matter what it may be combined with. It indicates a release that is deferred. And you should be extremely cautious about using any release that is deferred.

HTH

Rick

Purple

A release is deferred because they have found numerous bugs cisco deems at least fairly substantial . Unless there is a specific feature you need in a newer release or "T" train it is advised to use GD or general deployment as this has been tested for bugs and stability. I believe GD is 12.3 mainline now .

now... is it possible that no GD or T release exist for cat3750 ? ios upgrade planner offer me only ed or df release...i guest i have no choice to choose the newer ed release..

Hall of Fame Super Silver

Charles

I took a quick look at the software download pages and it does seem that the only releases for the 3750 are ED releases. So pick an ED release and stay away from the DF releases.

HTH

Rick

Purple

No there is no GD for the 3750 , in which case cisco will always tell you upgrade to the latest release . Think the latest is 12.2.31SG or something like that .

Actually it's the last version supported by 3750 is 12.2(25)SEE2.

Thx all !

Purple

Charles is correct I was thinking of the Catalyst 4500's because that is what we have been dealing with a lot lately.

Views
Helpful
Replies