I have a server acting as a dhcp server connected to a 4506 core switch. I have closet switches (3750s) connected to it via fiber (trunked). I would like to give those switches ip addresses via dhcp. So I setup a dhcp reservation with the MAC address of what I think Vlan 1 is on the closet switch. I get an IP address but not the reserved one. Is there something special I need to do to get that switch to get the reserved IP address?
Jon, thanks for your reply. All of the other dhcp entries show a 12 digit number which looks like mac addresses. But my switch shows a 48 digit number. At first, I thought it might be an IPV6 address but those are 128 bit addresses. If I arp the IP address that is given out, it shows the vlan1 mac that I put in the reservation.
Debug to the rescue. After Jon's note (thanks Jon) I deceided to use debug to see what was going on. It turns out that that 48 digit number is actually the client-id in hexidecimal format. The switch makes up the client-id by using the word cisco followed by the mac address and then the abbreviated interface name like VL1 or such.
And of course you can set the client-id to anything you want (almost) by using the "ip dhcp client client-id" command. When i used this with the mac of the interface everything worked although I did have to drop the leading zeros in the reservation on the server. I guess the switch really wasn't sending them. Anyway, thanks for everyones help.
Question We run asr9001 with XR 6.1.3, and we have a very long delay to
login w/ SSH 1 or 2 to the device compare to IOS device. After
investigation, the there is 1s delay between the client KEXDH_INIT and
the server (XR) KEXDH_REPLY. After debug ssh serv...
Introduction The purpose of this document is to demonstrate the Open
Shortest Path First (OSPF) behavior when the V-bit (Virtual-link bit) is
present in a non-backbone area. The V-bit is signaled in Type-1 LSA only
if the router is the endpoint of one or ...
Hi, I am seeing quite a few issues with patch install and wanted to
share my experience and workaround to this. Login to admin via CLI, then
access root with the “shell” command Issue “df –h” and you’ll probably
see the following directory full or nearly ...