Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

DHCP configure problem

dear teams,

I have a network like below:

layer 3 switch-----------access point-----------wireless client

What if I want configure the access point and the wireless client work with different DHCPs? Is it possible?

More question, I have read some trunk documents and assump I can tag the switch port to configure the AP and the wireless client in different vlans, is it helpful for my purpose?

I would be appreciate for any help!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

HiI am going to assume the

Hi

I am going to assume the Access Point is working Autonomously for now.

The port which connects to the AP needs to be a Trunk Port.

The AP itself should send out a DHCP Discover message as an Untagged Packet, i.e with no Vlan Tag in the L2 header. As this is untagged, the switch will see this and Tag the packet with the Native Vlan configured on that switchport. Obviously you would need DHCP setup on the Native Vlan.

You would then just create each of your SSID's as normal on the AP itself and assign these a Vlan ID within the AP config. The AP would then start to tag each packet with the corresponding Vlan ID for the SSID you are trying to associate with.

I believe this is how it works.

The process would be slightly different if you were using a controller as the config is done within the GUI of this and not on the AP CLI itself.

1 REPLY

HiI am going to assume the

Hi

I am going to assume the Access Point is working Autonomously for now.

The port which connects to the AP needs to be a Trunk Port.

The AP itself should send out a DHCP Discover message as an Untagged Packet, i.e with no Vlan Tag in the L2 header. As this is untagged, the switch will see this and Tag the packet with the Native Vlan configured on that switchport. Obviously you would need DHCP setup on the Native Vlan.

You would then just create each of your SSID's as normal on the AP itself and assign these a Vlan ID within the AP config. The AP would then start to tag each packet with the corresponding Vlan ID for the SSID you are trying to associate with.

I believe this is how it works.

The process would be slightly different if you were using a controller as the config is done within the GUI of this and not on the AP CLI itself.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content