cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

dhcp conflicts

ccarter81
Level 1
Level 1

I have a mixed environment of HP Procurve switches and Cisco Switches. I had no problem with DHCP conflicts up until recently when one of my procurves died and I replaced with a Cisco 3750X. Ever since then I have been having DHCP conflicts on end user machines quite frequently. When I check the DHCP server it shows an odd unique ID which is a bad MAC address that isn't even complete something like below

10.5.71.94   BAD_ADDRESS   3/10/2014  DHCP   5e47050a     This Address is already in use

I get several of these a day when I check my DHCP server. Nothing special about my switch. I do have a second VLAN, but it is a 192 network that is for my guest wireless. Before this switch I had only two other Cisco devices a 2960 and one other 3750. I do have spanning tree portfast turned on all ports with BPDU guard. The ports that are connected to a switch I have portfast turned off. The only thing I could think of was ARP. So I modified ARP timout all the way down to 0 and still got conflicts, but just not as often.

Has anyone seen this or have any insight as to what I can try? Thanks in advance.

1 Reply 1

ccarter81
Level 1
Level 1

So I found that this was an IOS bug with IP device tracking. Had to add a probe command "IP device tracking probe use-svi" which forces it to use reverse arp instead of ARP which causes false DHCP conflict messages on machine and in dhcp address leases.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card