Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

DHCP find / track

Hello all

Is there by any chance, a command you can use when logged in to a switch/router to discover if there is a dhcp server nearby - and the address of it(meaning a functionality like the small cute program "dhcp find").

Best rgds.

/Jan

6 REPLIES
Bronze

Re: DHCP find / track

Pls try with sh dhcp server n let us know if it works.

Hi Towli,

Let's make it more clear, why would you like to do so? are you facing a DHCP spoof attack? please calrify the main request so we can find an easy solution. but for this request I guess there is not such a tool.

B.regards,

I have been asked to find out wheter there is a dhcp server present on different locations. I thought i somehow would be able to clarify this by logging into a cisco device and "scan" the interface for dhcp servers (much like Roadkill's Dhcpfind).

I guess this is nut the case then?

(Thank you anyway! ! !)

/Towli

Hi

It works and i doesnt. Upon typing it shows "0" (zero) all over (leases, offers etc.) even though i know there is a Dhcp server nearby.

It's close to what i am looking for :) is there an alternative?

/Jan

You can use WireShark on a machine that is receiving the DHCP replies. Just look for the DHCP reply packets. When you isolate these look at the source address. You can do a traceroute of the source address to determine what routers/L3 devices you are going through to further isolate where the DHCP server is located on your network. Happy hunting!

Hope this helps,

--Richard

Thanx

Unfortunately you need to be logged in to a machine to run wireshark (and hence bother a user on the location - we are talking about 10 seperated locations spread around Copenhagen). I thought i would be need to just be able to log in to a Cisco box and check it transparent for all users.

I guess this cant be done.

Thank you for preplying - its need to have you all at hand and i will try to contribute to this forum in the future, if i can be of any benefit.

/Towli

Views
Helpful
Replies