Views
Helpful
Replies

DHCP IP

nileshKahale
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all ,

I want to know the whole process of how computer gets IP address from DHCP server when its in Different VLAN.

4 Replies 4

ankbhasi
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Nilesh,

The client send a broadcast for bootp and the broadcast will only reach till the layer 3 interface where multiple helper address is configured bur after that it will be a unicast to multiple DHCP addresses whatever is configured in ip helper command and and then the DHCP request will be sent to each and every DHCP server what is configured in helper address command and all the servers will reply and it depends on client which one to take.

What exactly happens is mostly DHCP server are centrally located in one vlan and clients may exist in multiple vlan. The broadcast for DHCP will not cross the layer 3 boundary so "ip helper-address " is configured in respective vlan layer 3 interfaces. Once the broadcast for bootp hits the layer 3 interface is converted as a unicast request and sent to the DHCP server configured in ip helper command and then the DHCP server send a DHCP offer packet which is then again forwarded back to the client.

Then client again sends the DHCP request and gets an acknoledgement.

HTH

Ankur

*Pls rate all helpfull post

Here's a good and thorough explanation by Scott Morris on this subject;

http://tcpmag.com/qanda/article.asp?EditorialsID=285

I just noticed that Ankur has responded to your query before I did. I would just point out one thing in his posting, there's a perception that the ip helper address would always use a unicast DHCP server address but it doesn't have to be that way. The helper address can be configured to point to a whole subnet, a directed broadcast rather than a unicast, and this can be useful when the unicast IP of the server is not known or when multiple servers exist in a remote subnet.

HTH

Sundar

Hey Sundar,

True, I just posted an example of mostly deployed scenario.

Anyways time for deep sleep now. Gud Night!!

Regards,

Ankur

devang_etcom
Level 7
Level 7

i would say you should read the Header of DHCP protocol and whole the cycle of DHCP process then you will come to know how DHCP works... i did the same thing...

if you understand the GID field of the DHCP header then its easy to find out your answer by your own.

regards

Devang

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card