Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

DHCP problem

Hello,

I have just added the new one switch (Catalyst Express 500) to my LAN. I set up the trunk to one of my old switches (Catalyst 3550). I have two VLAN set up. I tested the ports. The communication works from catalyst 500 to catalyst 3550 (all ports) and vice versa. When I reconnected my DHCP server from catalyst 3550 to catalyst 500 the DHCP server was not available for the hosts from the network however the server replied the ping tests and the hosts with statically configured TCP/IP settings used to reply the tests sent from the server as well.

What can be the reason of the issue?

Kind regards:

5 Replies 5

mahmoodmkl
Level 7
Level 7

Hi

can u verify weather u have configured the port role as smartport for the ports connected to hosts.

Thanks

Mahmood

Hello,

Yes it was the issue. Yesterday after long debugging I foud this simple feature as well.

The port has to be configured as Server port

with business role rather than a desktop port. Now everything is working properly and very fast.

Kind regards:

amit-singh
Level 8
Level 8

Where is the DHCP server connected and in which Vlan? 3550 is doing the inter-vlan routing I guess, so have you used the ip helper address comands on the 3550 SVI's.

Please paste the 3550 switch config and also let us know if trunk is working fine.

Let us know which smartport role is applied on the hosts connected to Ce500.

HTH,

-amit singh

amit-singh
Level 8
Level 8

Where is the DHCP server connected and in which Vlan? 3550 is doing the inter-vlan routing I guess, so have you used the ip helper address comands on the 3550 SVI's.

Please paste the 3550 switch config and also let us know if trunk is working fine.

Let us know which smartport role is applied on the hosts connected to Ce500.

HTH,

-amit singh

pciaccio
Level 4
Level 4

On the layer 3 interface where your client users are located place the IP helper-address xx.xx.xx.xx on the interface. The address will be the address of the DHCP server or device allocating the addresses. This will help you ....

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card