cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

DHCP redundancy

ajamua
Level 1
Level 1

I am thinking of moving my DHCP process from a server to my cat6500 running native mode. I would like to configure DHCP process on a pair of cat6500 switches but I am wonder about how they will interact with each other.

If I put the same scope on both cat6500 and point them both to the same DHCP Database Agent would there be some conflict? Would this be able to have some sort of redundancy in my dhcp services? Is there a better way to accomplish this task?

3 Replies 3

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Ajamu

If you configure DHCP on both switches, then when a PC sends a request for an address (which is sent as a broadcast) it will be seen by both switches. Both switches will send a response to the PC and the PC will choose which offer it will accept. In this case it is not good to configure the same scope on both switches. The frequent solution to this is to configure a scope with half the addresses on one switch and configure a scope with the other half of the addresses on the other switch.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Thanks for your quick response. Is it possible to use the bootflash or memory in slot of the switch as the DHCP Database Agent?

Ajamu

I have not tested this myself and so can not say for sure. But I think that it does not work to try to use bootflash or memory as the DHCP Database Agent.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: