Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

DHCP server on 3925 router with multiple VLANs

Hello,

I have a have a Windows server providing DHCP to all users on VLAN 1.  I want the 3925 router to provide DHCP to users on a specific VLAN, in this case VLAN 55, that will be a wireless guest VLAN.  The WAP is a SAP2602 so no controller.  I have the WAP configured and the switch configured with both VLANs and I know how to create the DHCP server on the router. 

I do not know how to make the 3925 DHCP server to only provide DHCP service to VLAN 55. 

Can someone provide a config example please?

Thanks,

Mitchell

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Mitchell

The configuration on the router might look something like this:

ip dhcp pool vlan55
   network 192.168.55.0 255.255.255.0
   default-router 192.168.55.1
   dns-server 8.8.8.8

There might be some additional parameters depending on what the WAPs and their users need. But this would be enough to get you started.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

Just follow this link:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/ios-xml/ios/ipaddr_dhcp/configuration/12-4t/dhcp-12-4t-book/config-dhcp-server.html#GUID-6AB64F85-D3DB-461E-BBD6-5193CC36D27F

HTH

Thank you Reza, this was a very helpful link with good information.

adamtodd16
Level 3
Level 3

So you want to provide VLAN 1 and 55 to your wireless users?  

You'll need to tag the VLANs and trunk to the AP. 

Mitchell

My colleague Reza has provided a link to a very good article about configuring DHCP. But I am not sure that this really addresses your main question. If I am understanding your question correctly you are asking more about how you can limit the DHCP on the router to only provide addresses for VLAN 55 and not other ranges. If my understanding is not correct then please provide clarification. If my understanding is correct then the answer is quite simple. If you configure the router with a DHCP scope only for VLAN 55 then it will provide addresses for VLAN 55 and not for any other ranges.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Hi Rick,

Thank you for your reply.  Your understanding of the question is correct, I only need help with providing DHCP to the wireless guests on VLAN 55.  I do not need help configuring the VLANs, the AP, etc.

I do not understand what you mean by "configure the router with a DHCP scope only for VLAN 55".  Can you show me a configuration example? 

Thanks,

Mitchell

Mitchell

The configuration on the router might look something like this:

ip dhcp pool vlan55
   network 192.168.55.0 255.255.255.0
   default-router 192.168.55.1
   dns-server 8.8.8.8

There might be some additional parameters depending on what the WAPs and their users need. But this would be enough to get you started.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Rick,

Thanks for your help.  It seems I was over-thinking this.  For some reason I kept thinking there had to be some command to "link" the DHCP server to the VLAN.  I should have realized just putting them both in the same network was all that was needed.  Duh... Thank you for your patience and willingness to help so many of us.

Mitchell Smith

Mitchell

I agree that you were over thinking the issue and that the solution was more simple than you were looking for. Thank you for the kind words. I am glad to help you and others who participate in the forum. Thank you for using the rating system to mark this question as answered. This will help other participants in the forum to recognize that there is helpful information here.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

kr.ujjwal93
Level 1
Level 1
I have 3925 router
I have configured failover rules for two isp
now I have to configure DHCP on a single LAN port
DHCP will be of 4 different private pools

Please help !!!
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: