Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

DHCP Server Problem

I have set cisco 3550 to act as DHCP server on one my LAN. All the EMAC PC's could able to fetch the address automatically from 3550, but windows machines couldn't fetch, i hav set static ip address configuration in 3550 for both EMAC & win2000. configuration are below

ip dhcp excluded-address 10.205.1.1 10.205.1.10

ip dhcp pool windows

host 10.205.1.1 255.255.255.0

client-identifier 01xx.xxxx.xxxx.xx

ip dhcp pool emac

host 10.205.1.2 255.255.255.0

client-identifier 01xx.xxxx.xxxx.xx

ip dhcp pool lan

network 10.205.1.0 255.255.255.0

default-rotuer 10.205.1.252

ip dhcp snooping

ip dhcp-server 10.205.1.250

interface vlan 205

ip address 10.205.1.250 255.255.255.0

ip default-gateway 10.205.1.252

Note: on the LAN i hav made openBSD3.9 to act as dhcp server for few set of pc's which will have a differnet subnet. when i shutdown the openbsd, windowz get the ip address perfectly, but openBSD is ON it doesn't. my question why specifically windows is getting affected & why not mac is not getting affected when openBSD is also acting as dhcp server?

6 REPLIES
Silver

Re: DHCP Server Problem

not sure of the issue, check out the following troubleshooting link, hope this helps :

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk648/tk361/technologies_tech_note09186a00800f0804.shtml

This openBSB is not working as a dhcp server by any means, right?

vlad

Thankz for the reply, my openBSD is working as a DHCP Server & also the cisco 3550 too the same, but openBSD providez for a different ip address series & 3550 to a diff.

Hall of Fame Super Silver

Anand

From your description am I correct to understand that the openBSD is connected on the VLAN 205?

Perhaps you can clarify what is configured in the openBSD for DHCP. I do not understand your statement that openBSD provides different ip address series. Perhaps you can clarify.

From my understanding so far I believe that the 3550 and the openBSD are both operating in the same VLAN (and therefore in the same subnet). If that is not correct please correct me.

I believe that part of the explanation is that you have two devices configured as DHCP servers in the same VLAN. In that case when the PC starts up and sends its DHCP request, both servers receive the request, and both servers send a response. It is up to the end station to choose which response to accept. It sounds like the openBSD is responding first and the Windows PCs are attempting to learn addresses from the openBSD server.

Knowing how to resolve this would require additional information about your environment and about the relationship between the DHCP configuration of the 3550 and of openBSD.

HTH

Rick

Hi Rick,

lemme clearly explain, 3550 is acting as a dhcp server subent, 10.205.1.0/24, over all 100 pc's are on the network, openBSD subnet 192.168.255.0/24, a novel server is located juz bcoz subnet 10.205.1.0/24 need to access that server & also the subnet 192.168.255.0/24 will also need to access the novel server. so the novel server port is on vlan 205 & also the openBSD too the same(juz bcoz it needs to access the novel server) once it becomes a diff. vlan 192.168.255.0/24 users cannot access novel server as it is using IPX. i hope my question is clear for you to make understand.

as u say that YES openBSD responding fast/first to the clients request that 3550. so how do i over come?

i have planned to put the secondary ip address on vlan 205 with the subnet 192.168.255.0/24, so that i will create 2 DHCP pools. so will it work?

Hall of Fame Super Silver

Anand

The additional information that you provide is very helpful in understanding the problem. The essence of the problem is indeed that there are 2 DHCP servers in the same VLAN. You may be treating them as 2 subnets, but they are all in the same VLAN and therefore all in the same broadcast domain. This means that when the client sends a DHCP request that both servers will recieve it. And both servers are responding.

Perhaps if we knew more about the 10.205.1/24 and the 192.168.255/24 subnets we might find some solution. (I am not clear why you need 2 subnets) But at this point the only way that I know to really fix the DHCP problem if you need 2 different subnets is to have separate VLANs and each VLAN as a separate subnet. This does create issues if there is a server that both need to access and if the server is running only IPX networking. I believe that the solution for that is really to get a device into the network that can route IPX.

HTH

Rick

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content