Views
Helpful
Replies

DHCP service over single interface

joetholen
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

Is it possible for my Catalyst 2960-s to provide DHCP/NAT service over a single interface? There is no other DHCP server on the network. I am thinking there must be a way to do this, maybe with a VLAN to a specific interface on the switch?

I want to have a 172.16.xx.xx DHCP service on just that switch interface, nowhere else. Do these switches know how to do that, or does it have to happen on a router?

I don't think "DHCP Snooping" is what I want, but I'm not entirely sure what "snooping" is.

2 Replies 2

John Blakley
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

I've never done it, but I have 2960-S switches as well. The commands to enable dhcp are there, so I'd be curious to see what you can come up with. I would assume that it would only be able to support a single vlan though since there can only be a single management interface, but don't quote me on that.

ip dhcp excluded-address 172.16.10.1 172.16.10.99

ip dhcp pool VLAN1

network 172.16.10.0 255.255.255.0

default-router 172.16.10.1

dns-server 8.8.8.8 4.2.2.1

int vlan 1

ip address 172.16.10.5 255.255.255.0

I would think that anyone in vlan 1 would get the address from this pool, but I would highly recommend that if you have the option, put the dhcp pool on the router. You can support multiple vlans/subnets from it definitely.

HTH,
John

*** Please rate all useful posts ***

HTH, John *** Please rate all useful posts ***

The 2960 series does indeed support DHCP, even for multiple VLANs. However, you will need a router or firewall for NAT capabilities.

Regards,
Mike

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card