cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

DHCP

saidfrh
Level 1
Level 1

We are transitioning branch offices (bo) into to an ISP managed MPLS network. The bo will access the Internet through the headquarter's Internet access. Is there a way to configure a PIX to give DHCP IP addresses to the local hosts? Ideally the MPLS router would give dynamic IP addresses. The ISP manages the MPLS routers. We have no control of configuring the MPLS routers. The ISP will charge additional fee for DHCP service. Time is a factor, is there a fix to provising DHCP IP to hosts to the bo's LAN? We have Linksys unmanaged switches at the sites. Thanks.

3 Replies 3

derrickc
Level 1
Level 1

You can configure a PIX/ASA to be a DHCP server, but from what I've seen, you enable it per interface and the DHCP pool has to be part of the same network for that particular interface. For example, if your inside interface is 192.168.1.1/24, then if you enable DHCP on the inside interface, you would have to configure a pool in the 192.168.1.0/24 range. Since you have multiple sites, I'm guessing each will have it's own subnet. If you have a semi decent switch at HQ, you could configure it for DHCP. I have a couple of 4507s that I have setup as DHCP server. If you don't, you may have to through up a Windows or Linux DHCP server at the HQ site. Is the ISP handling all the routing between sites? Also, if the DHCP server resides on a different subnet that the client requesting the IP address, the local router (where the client is attached) will have to have an ip-helper address to point it to the DHCP server.

The ISP handles the routing between the sites. All four branch offices have different IP schemes. 2 sites have dedicated Internet Access, the firewall provides DHCP Ip addresses. The 2 other sites require DHCP service. Can a PIX 501's outside interface be connected to the Eth interface of the MPLS router, and configure the PIX to allow all traffic IPs and open all ports into the inside 100 interface? The PIX would be configured to serve as DHCP server.

Hi Can u pls help me out to creat the DHCP server.i need fully explanation on this with ur own digram

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card