cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

DHCPv6

gjb911169
Level 1
Level 1

For stateless autoconfiguration, does DHCPv6 need to be set on both router interfaces such as FastEthernet0 and FastEthernet1? So a pool called Segment2 does it need to be on both router interfaces or just one? I am working on getting DNS to behave properly. I have another thread running similair to this.

Thanks

Greg

8 Replies 8

Harold Ritter
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Greg,

The following commands need to be configured on all user facing interfaces:

ipv6 dhcp server Segment2

ipv6 nd other-config-flag

See the following document for more information on how to configure stateless DHCPv6:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/ipv6/configuration/guide/ip6-dhcp.html

Regards

Harold Ritter
Sr Technical Leader
CCIE 4168 (R&S, SP)
harold@cisco.com
México móvil: +52 1 55 8312 4915
Cisco México
Paseo de la Reforma 222
Piso 19
Cuauhtémoc, Juárez
Ciudad de México, 06600
México

It looks to me I need to configure both the server and client pieces then the source route, correct? I have another set of 1812 routers that I am using to try these configs out.

Thanks for the assistance.

Greg

Greg,

I am not to clear on what you mean here by source route. Could you please elaborate.

Regards

Harold Ritter
Sr Technical Leader
CCIE 4168 (R&S, SP)
harold@cisco.com
Cisco México
Paseo de la Reforma 222
Piso 19
Cuauhtémoc, Juárez
Ciudad de México, 06600
México

The step reads to enable processing of packets with source routing header options which is on p. 34 of the doc you had refered me to. It looks like on P. 32, I need to have all three pieces enabled.

Thanks

Greg

Makes sense. Did it work for you after configuring everything?

Regards

Harold Ritter
Sr Technical Leader
CCIE 4168 (R&S, SP)
harold@cisco.com
Cisco México
Paseo de la Reforma 222
Piso 19
Cuauhtémoc, Juárez
Ciudad de México, 06600
México

I can going to work the configurations this afternoon on my other test setup and see what happens. Hopefully it works. Thanks again.

Greg

Hello Greg,

have you been able to have DHCPv6 working with the configuration you have suggested ?

Best Regards

Giuseppe

Unfortunately I have had an emergency that I am finally finishing up with. I am hoping to test this afternoon. Thanks for the continued interest and I will let you know of my success or failure.

Thanks

Greg

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card