cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Diff between an EtherChannel and PortChanel

brooklynheight
Level 1
Level 1

Etherchannels can be used to add more bandwidth and loadbalancing between 2 switches. However, what is the diff. between that and a PortChannel. I noticed on Cisco. docs that Portchannels can be used for routing? However the port channel on my device has no ip address, but it is showing up up

Port-channel1 unassigned YES unset up up

Group: 1

----------

Group state = L2

Ports: 2 Maxports = 8

Port-channels: 1 Max Port-channels = 1

Protocol: -

Ports in the group:

-------------------

interface Port-channel1

switchport access vlan 50

switchport mode access

switchport nonegotiate

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst3550/software/release/12.1_13_ea1/configuration/guide/swethchl.html#wp1105961

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi

Etherchannel is the technology that allows grouping together more than one physical links to increase bandwidth. It creates a logical link that is seen by STP as one link rather than the separate physical links that make up the logical link.

A port-channel is just the logical link.

You can use port-channels at either L2 or L3.

If it is a L3 portchannel then it will have an IP address, if it is L2 then it won't.

The port-channel in your example above is a L2 port-channel.

HTH

Jon

View solution in original post

ankbhasi
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Leonardo,

Basically they are same. When you bind multiple physical ports together an interface which is created is port-channel which is actually termed as etherchannel.

So the logical port which get created is port-channel which is also called as etherchannel. There can be layer 2 ether channels a well as layer 3 etherchannels.

When you bind multiple layer 2 interfaces they are called as layer 2 etherchannels/portchannels as you have in your case. But if I just assign an ip address to your port channel it becomes layer 3 port channel.

HTH

Ankur

*Pls rate all helpfull post

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi

Etherchannel is the technology that allows grouping together more than one physical links to increase bandwidth. It creates a logical link that is seen by STP as one link rather than the separate physical links that make up the logical link.

A port-channel is just the logical link.

You can use port-channels at either L2 or L3.

If it is a L3 portchannel then it will have an IP address, if it is L2 then it won't.

The port-channel in your example above is a L2 port-channel.

HTH

Jon

ankbhasi
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Leonardo,

Basically they are same. When you bind multiple physical ports together an interface which is created is port-channel which is actually termed as etherchannel.

So the logical port which get created is port-channel which is also called as etherchannel. There can be layer 2 ether channels a well as layer 3 etherchannels.

When you bind multiple layer 2 interfaces they are called as layer 2 etherchannels/portchannels as you have in your case. But if I just assign an ip address to your port channel it becomes layer 3 port channel.

HTH

Ankur

*Pls rate all helpfull post

i appreciate the clarification

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card