cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Diff between archive tar and archive download-sw commands?

Tarjeet Singh
Level 1
Level 1

I need to update switch with .tar file. I have never done this before. I have found two commands. But I am confused which one I can execute.

Examples:

archive tar /xtract tftp://10.10.10.3/c2950-i6q4l2-tar.121-22.EA1.tar flash:

OR

archive download-sw /overwrite tftp://20.20.20.2/c3550-i5q3l2-tar.121-13.EA1.tar

Please advise. I just want to upgrade standalone switch with .tar file. Should I use archive tar or archive download-sw

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

I am a still waiting for answer. please help if possible

You created the thread at 11:53 and you want an answer in 10 seconds (for example)?  Patience. 

Difference between "archive tar /x" and "archive download-sw"?

"archive tar /x" command only un-packs the IOS.  That's all it does.

"archive download-sw" unpacks the IOS and you can run optional commands to remove the old IOS (as an example), change the boot string, forcefully reboot the appliance after the un-packing completes, or run an MD5 hash verify of the BIN file when the un-packing starts, remove the OLD IOS, etc.

It's your choice.

Some Catalyst switch "don't like" the "archive download-sw" and, in some cases, give an impression that the IOS upgrade is complete even though the un-packing is still happening in the background. 

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Tarjeet Singh
Level 1
Level 1

You created the thread at 11:53 and you want an answer in 10 seconds (for example)?  Patience. 

Difference between "archive tar /x" and "archive download-sw"?

"archive tar /x" command only un-packs the IOS.  That's all it does.

"archive download-sw" unpacks the IOS and you can run optional commands to remove the old IOS (as an example), change the boot string, forcefully reboot the appliance after the un-packing completes, or run an MD5 hash verify of the BIN file when the un-packing starts, remove the OLD IOS, etc.

It's your choice.

Some Catalyst switch "don't like" the "archive download-sw" and, in some cases, give an impression that the IOS upgrade is complete even though the un-packing is still happening in the background. 

Hi Leo,

Thanks for reply. I am planning to upgrade tomorrow, so i was in bit rush.

As you stated earlier, I can use any command. but its better to use "archive download-sw" because it give me more options.

But later you explained that in some cases, give an impression that the IOS upgrade is complete even  though the un-packing is still happening in the background.  I am bit worried that how can I determine that unpacking has been completed if i am using "archive download-sw"

But later you explained that in some cases, give an impression that the IOS upgrade is complete even  though the un-packing is still happening in the background.  I am bit worried that how can I determine that unpacking has been completed if i am using "archive download-sw"

So far, I've seen this bug in the Metro Ethernet switches.  The only "clue" is after the appliance has (wrongfully) confirmed that the software un-packing is complete, you'll observe that there's a significant lag everytime you run commands.  You'll also notice your CPU goes up dangerously.            

As you stated earlier, I can use any command. but its better to use "archive download-sw" because it give me more options.

As a general rule, yes.  Use the "archive download-sw" if you're not sure what you are doing because this option gives you a lot of options and very robust.  Use "archive tar /x", my favorite, with caution because if you make a type-o, your file will be un-packing into a different folder.

Can you specify what appliance you are trying to upgrade and to what IOS versions you are going to?

Hi Leo,

If you remember, you helped me yesterday. It is HP C7000 chassis with 4 Cisco blades.

1   24     WS-CBS3020-HPQ     12.2(37)SE1             CBS30X0-LANBASE-M

you recomended me to upload .tar file. I am use of doing .bin file. Just to clarify, if i am not using SDM is that ok to use .bin file or it is best practice to use .tar

you recomended me to upload .tar file. I am use of doing .bin file. Just to clarify, if i am not using SDM is that ok to use .bin file or it is best practice to use .tar

My preference is to use the TAR file.

You can use the BIN file, if you want.  It doesn't make any difference.

Remember to compare the MD5 hash value. 

Rohit saurav
Level 1
Level 1

archive download-sw /overwrite tftp://20.20.20.2/c3550-i5q3l2-tar.121-13.EA1.tar.

In this standard command, I am bit confused that how the file will choose the path to flash:

with no flash keyword s mentioned in the command.

Please reply.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card