Views
Helpful
Replies

diff between "int vlan+sw port" and "int" on 3750/7609

cnicules
Level 1
Level 1

hi,

What is the difference in performance, stability, etc, between a point to point connexion between a 3750 - 7609, 3750 - 3750, 7609 - 7609 with :

interface GigabitEthernet1/0/4

switchport access vlan 806

switchport mode access

interface Vlan806

ip address 1.1.x.x.255.255.252

and the same on the other end

and with this config

interface GigabitEthernet1/0/4

no switchport

ip address 1.1.x.x.255.255.252

for me it's simplier to read the last config than the first, also I tested the last config on a 3550, but I presume it works on 3750 and 7609 also.

thanks

ciprian

4 Replies 4

sourabhagarwal
Level 4
Level 4

There are different ways to configure a routed port.

In first case, you have created Layer 3 SVI 806 and assigned IP to it. Then instead of assigning IP to Gi1/0/4, you have configured Gi1/0/4 to become member of VLAN 806.

In second case, you have assigned IP directly to the Gi1/0/4 interface.

Both cases serves the same purpose to configure routed port with IP address.

I feel there will not be any difference in performance, stability, etc in both cases.

hope it helps ... rate if it does ....

thanks for your answer, but it seems that i didn't made myself clear, i know what the configs are doing, but i was wandering from constructions point of view, resource utilisations etc etc. If i do a 48 SVI or 48 routed port on a 3750, and full duplex, is the switch going down or not :-)

happy new year

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

They are the same thing just a different way of doing things . The SVI definition way allows you to put multiple ports into that same vlan if that is what your network design dictates . Otherwise it does the same thing .

amit-singh
Level 8
Level 8

Hi Ciprian,

There is a difference the way both the connection works. Although they will have the same purpose but there is the difference the way the switch ports will work.

In case of a SVI you will have eventually a Layer-2 link between the switches. This will run your normal STP and other control traffic between the switches.This will extend your STP domain from a switch to the other switch.The ports will go thorugh the normal STP states and in case of a link flap or link going dowm/coming back the recovery time will be a little high.

In case of a routed port between the switches,you will have a layer 3 link between the switches and will work as a normal router port. There will no STP running on the ports and the STP domain will not be extended beyond the downstream switches.Applring layer3 features like ACL's,PBR's will be a ltille easy in this case.

The Disadvantage of running routed ports is that each port will be a separate network and you will have to manage a large number of IP subnets on the network. Running a routing protocol will be a good idea in this case.

My suggestion for running a point-point link between 2 layer3 device would always be a layer-3 link. But this also depends on the kind of network topology you have.

HTH, Please rate if it does.

-amit singh

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco