Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Difference b/w nortel and cisco switches

How nortel switch differ from Cisco swicthes.. Whate are advantage in prefering nortel over than cisco. kinldy help me on this

6 REPLIES
Hall of Fame Super Gold

Re: Difference b/w nortel and cisco switches

How nortel switch differ from Cisco swicthes.. Whate are advantage in prefering nortel over than cisco. kinldy help me on this

That is one broad question no one in this forum can/will answer. 

You need to specify WHAT you want to do (Layer 2, Layer 3, MPLS, Routing, NAT, etc.).  Next, you need to specify what Cisco model you want to compare against what Nortel switch. 

What is the purpose of your question?

You can't really compare Nortel to Cisco unless you are more specific as to what you are comparing.

Super Bronze

Disclaimer

The  Author of this posting offers the information contained within this  posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that  there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose.  Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not  be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this  posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In  no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including,  without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out  of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author  has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

Your question is like asking the difference between two different brands of automobiles.  Generally they both provide transportation and both may have four wheels.  So in that regard they're alike, or for your question, they're both switches.

But as automobile brands (and different models) vary in features and often in cost, you'll often find different features between different brands of switches (or models) and often different costs for them too.

So when comparing either switches or automobiles, you might draft a comparison list of differences and rate each's importance to you.

BTW, one important feature, and often very difficult to assess, is quality.

JosephDoherty wrote:

BTW, one important feature, and often very difficult to assess, is quality.

This is why I believe Cisco are the market leader in this area. As with most things, you generally get what you pay for.

Your car comparison is a good one to illustrate the point. Some cars cost £10k new and others cost £50k. Technically they both do the same primary function of getting you from A to B so why pay 5x the price?

Its the same with Networking kit. At our company, some of the clients do not have large budgets so we provide two options for them usually which consists of HP or Cisco kit. Having used both, I genuinely believe the Cisco kit is worth paying extra for but the clients do not always see it that way, the bottom line usually comes down to price which often does not equate to quality.

We had a client recently who wanted an overhaul of their IT kit on thier vessel and a survey found their Router was made in 1999 and end of life in early 2002 yet it was still going strong!

Another thing to consider is staff time in regards to troubleshooting, installing etc. I personally find it takes me a fair amount of time longer to get my head around the GUI based switches. Something which I could do in 20 minutes on a Cisco switch can take 3x as long on the HP ones. How much money is wasted then? Will you find it more difficult to employ a Network Engineer if you don't use Cisco kit? Arguably, perhaps you would

Dinesh Kumar Mariappan wrote:

None. A couple of years ago I did an analysis of Nortel, Juniper and Cisco switches at the access layer. Nortel finished a distant 3rd.

Hall of Fame Super Gold

Folks,

Anyone knows who now owns Nortel network business?  I know Avaya picked up the telephony. 

If there was one thing Nortel, Juniper, HP, etc can beat Cisco is price. 

Views
Helpful
Replies