Views
Helpful
Replies

Difference between Cisco Switch Models

devils_advocate
Level 7
Level 7

Hi

Can anyone tell me the fundamental differences between the WS-C3750X-48P-L and the WS-C3750X-48P-S switches?

I have checked the compatibility matrix and it seems the differences are listed per image licence but im not sure if that means the

WS-C3750X-48P-L switch cannot use the IP base image?

We just need a L3 switch which does PoE and Intervlan routing, we will use a default route to the router.

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi:

WS-C3750X-48P-L (Lan Base) / WS-C3750X-48P-S (IP Base)

Lan Base - Full Layer 2 feautures

IP Base   - Full Layer 2 feautures + Basic Layer 3 feautures

If you require dynamic routing for your enterprise access networks, you’ll need to begin with IP Base .

Reggards.

If my answer was helpful, give me point. .

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The   Author of this posting offers the information contained within this   posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that   there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose.   Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not   be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of  this  posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In   no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including,   without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising  out  of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if  Author  has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

Can anyone tell me the fundamental differences between the WS-C3750X-48P-L and the WS-C3750X-48P-S switches?

I have checked the compatibility matrix and it seems the differences are listed per image licence but im not sure if that means the

WS-C3750X-48P-L switch cannot use the IP base image?

As you've surmised, the difference is (factory "installed") license.  The devices are physically identical.

I'm not 100% sure, but I suspect the LANBase license would not work with an IPBase image.  (I also don't recall whether the universal image also provides for LANBase.)

Hi:

WS-C3750X-48P-L (Lan Base) / WS-C3750X-48P-S (IP Base)

Lan Base - Full Layer 2 feautures

IP Base   - Full Layer 2 feautures + Basic Layer 3 feautures

If you require dynamic routing for your enterprise access networks, you’ll need to begin with IP Base .

Reggards.

If my answer was helpful, give me point. .

devils_advocate
Level 7
Level 7

Ahhh ok, so we could use the LAN Base for our L2 Access Switches which literally do PoE and L2 Vlans and use the IP Base for the Distribution.

We are looking at buying 20-30 of these switches so could save £800 each on the 48 port between the models, hence why I am trying to find out whether we could use the LAN Base at the Access Layer.

Following the Campus Network Design you could be use (for example):

CAMPUS CORE -  WS-C3750X-48T-S OR WS-C3750X-48T-E OR WS-C4500E

Fast transport

DISTRIBUTION   -   WS-C3750X-48T-S OR WS-C3560X-48T-L

Inter-VLAN Routing

ACCESS           -   WS-C2960S-48PS-L

User access to network services and PoE

https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-27296

Reggards.

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

"-L" = LAN Base feature set

"-S" = IP Base feature set

devils_advocate
Level 7
Level 7

Thanks for the helpful replies so far.

Are the licences upgradable?

The reason I ask is that the P-L switch seems to come with the LAN Base Image but we have one onsite which seems to have the IP Base image looking at the #show licence command.

Thanks

Disclaimer

The  Author of this posting offers the information contained within this  posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that  there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose.  Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not  be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this  posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In  no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including,  without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out  of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author  has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

Are the licences upgradable?

Yes.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card