Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Difference between last known last-src-addr and secure-scr-address?

Hi,

I am new to port security and was wondering what the difference was between the last known last-src-addr and secure-scr-address?

Thanks all.

3 REPLIES
Hall of Fame Super Blue

Re: Difference between last known last-src-addr and secure-scr-a

Hi

As i understand it the secure-src-address is the list of allowed mac-addresses that cn be seen by the switch on that port.

The last-src-address is the last mac-address that has actually been seen by the switch on that port.

HTH

Jon

Thanks Jon. How do these differ if there is a hub plugged into the jack and teh max addr is 3 for example?

What is the last mac addr. then?

Hall of Fame Super Blue

If it is a hub the last-mac-addr will still be the last mac-address seen on that switch port. If you have set the max to 3 and the hub has more than 3 clients then it will probably end up seeing more than 3 mac-addresses and then the violation will kick in.

Indeed stopping people connecting hubs into floor ports is on of the main reasons we use port-security where i work. We restrict the max addresses to 1 which works fine for clients.

Edit - works fine that is until some of our more adventurous users decide to start swapping over their pc's in the floor ports. They usually only do it once :)

HTH

Jon

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content