Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Attention: The Community will be in read-only mode on 12/14/2017 from 12:00 am pacific to 11:30 am.

During this time you will only be able to see content. Other interactions such as posting, replying to questions, or marking content as helpful will be disabled for few hours.

We apologize for the inconvenience while we perform important updates to the Community.

Difference between Packet switching and Packet Forwarding

Hi ,

Can any one explain me about difference between Packet switching and Packet Forwarding ? 

Where can we use Packet switching term as applicable ?

Thanks,

Ajay

1 REPLY

Difference between Packet switching and Packet Forwarding

Hello Ajay,

I am not sure if there is an official definition but in general, since a packet is a unit of data that can refer to both a datagram (the IP unit of data) and to a frame (an ethernet or in general a layer 1/2 unit of data), I tend to refer to packetswitching when talking of processing of packet  based on layer 2 addresses and packet forwarding when based on layer 3 (routing).

I saw it used even in term of the technology used: packet switching when the decision happens in (dedicated) hardware, like the ASIC of a switch and forwarding when it is done by software (although nowadays routers do a lot in accelerated hardware with tecnologies like DCEF).

Not sure if this helps or confuses the matte more ....

Cheers

Fabio

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content