Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Difference between "no switchport" and "switchport mode access" (old IOS)

Running 12.2(22) IP services base on an old 3550. At the interface config level, if I type "no switchport" I get a config that reads "no switchport", if I type "no switchport mode" I get "switchport mode dynamic desirable" (the default for this particular HW/SW), and if I type "switchport mode access" I get a config that reads "switchport mode access".

I don't have any networks on VLAN1 available to me for test, to see if the port in "no switchport" mode will participate in switching, but my guess is that, since I can't assign an IP address to the interface unless it is in "no switchport" mode, and can't assign a VLAN to it until I have issued the "switchport" command, is that in "no switchport" the port doesn't participate in any switching, even VLAN 1. Basically this command turns the port into a IP router port.

Is that an accurate way to describe it? Thanks in advance.

2 REPLIES
Hall of Fame Super Blue

Re: Difference between "no switchport" and "switchport mode acce

Wiley

"no switchport" changes the port from being a Layer 2 interface to a layer 3 interface. So a port with "no switchport" is not a member of any vlan, it is as you say a routed port and you can then configure an IP address on it.

Hope this answers your question.

Jon

Re: Difference between "no switchport" and "switchport mode acce

Thanks for confirming my observations.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content