cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

difference between STP, RSTP, PVST, PVST+, CST, MST

chandra_rc16
Level 4
Level 4

Can someone please give a brief difference between STP, RSTP, PVST, PVST+, CST, MST.?

Just for the basic understandability.

And what is the current protocol that is being used in cisco switches.

Regards,

Chandu

Regards, Chandu
3 Replies 3

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Here is good link with a lots of good info from Peter:

https://supportforums.cisco.com/message/3271005#3271005

HTH

i  was so confused about this but now i came to this conclusion 

I think "PVST" and "PVST+" are the same thing, dont confuse yourself with it.

"PVST+" additional feature of Cisco, added to IEEE Standard 802.1d STP.

which means there will be separate INSTANCE per VLAN.

Nowadays PVST+ is oftently use as  PVST. So PVST = PVST+

"PVST" is Cisco default STP Mode. 

To enable  "PVST+" this command is use " spanning-tree mode pvst "

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Lots of the details are found in the reference Reza provided, but in short . . .

STP is the granddaddy standard.
PVSTP variants are Cisco proprietary, and run a STP instance per VLAN, and may offer enhancements not found in the standard protocols. (NB: the advantage of "per VLAN", you can have different active links and/or different roots, for each VLAN.)
R(apid-)STP is a much enhanced version. Cisco's rapid-PVST is much like it, although it also supports a STP instance per VLAN.
MST, another standard, is basically rapid-STP enhanced such that you can define which VLANs are in MST instances. (NB: this too, like Cisco's PVST, allows you to have different active links and/or roots, but without the overhead of running a STP instance for every VLAN [often only one or just a couple of STP instances are really needed].)
CST is related to MST, it allows MST to inter operate with earlier STP standards. Basically, it "hides" MST multiple STP instances.

Generally, Cisco's current switches default using PVST+ (Cisco's PVST variants are proprietary), but they also support rapid-PVST and MST. If I remember correctly, the later PVST+ often provides optional enhancements, many of which are enabled if you enable rapid-PVST.

Generally, if using Cisco switches, you should enable rapid-PVSTP, unless you have a reason to configure MST.
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card