cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Different Addresses Same Switch

townofnewmarket
Level 1
Level 1

We are redoing a portion of our building.

We use a 192.168.100.x range for the building.

We have an outside connection for a client system that we use, it uses 10.0.24.x. When that connection comes in, we plug it into a different Cisco switch than the ones on the 192 range. The consultant asked why don't I just plug them all into the same switch??

Can I do that?? Forgive my ignorance, but I figured everything needed to be on the same subnet on the same switch.

Thanks.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

DELL ACORD
Level 1
Level 1

You can configure on the switch ports 1-12 for vlan x and ports 13-24 for vlan y. Of course if you have a 24 port switch that supports VLANing. Without a layer 3 device the two vlan's/subnets will not talk to each other. Some intsances it is best practices to seperate inside from outside traffic on seperate switches. Hope this helps.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

gopi.tadikonda
Level 1
Level 1

Your question was not so clear for me. What ever i understood from ur question pl. find the solution below:

You can create 2 vlans and plug them into the respective Vlan ports. But you switch should support for that and you should have one more layer 3 equipment for routing.

OK, here's the important part I guess, lol!

I have 2 PCs. Each PC has 2 NICs.

The first NIC attaches to the 192 net.

The 2nd NIC attaches to the 10 net.

There is no static route between them, basically they are treated as 2 very separate networks that never communicate with each other.

The consultant was saying I could save a switch by just plugging the line that comes from the 10 router right into my 192 switch and the 2 networks would coexist peacefully on my switch.

So I am just wondering if that is correct or not! I hope this is clearer. I know with a repeater this would be fine, not so sure with a switch.

DELL ACORD
Level 1
Level 1

You can configure on the switch ports 1-12 for vlan x and ports 13-24 for vlan y. Of course if you have a 24 port switch that supports VLANing. Without a layer 3 device the two vlan's/subnets will not talk to each other. Some intsances it is best practices to seperate inside from outside traffic on seperate switches. Hope this helps.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card