Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Different subnet masks in the Same vlan

Hi

I am moving a company's network ip address range from 192.168.1.x/22 to 192.168.1.x/24

(Other VLANS will also be created)

My question is: in the VLAN where now all users and servers exists, i want to start changing manually the Subnet mask of the servers from /22 to /24.

Would it cause any connectivity problem with the remaining users that still has the subnet mask /22?

3 REPLIES

Re: Different subnet masks in the Same vlan

Hi

u can use the other's ip subnet under the same svi but it needs to be as a secondry address.

Thanks

Mahmood

Where do u mean the secondary address should be?

i didn't understood well what u mean

Super Bronze

As Mahmood notes, you might be able to define a secondary address (which supports more than one subnet on the same VLAN). However, I'm concerned about the fact you would have overlapping subnets.

I assume you're hoping just to migrate subnet masks. However, moving from /22 to /24, you could have /22 hosts sitting on /24 network or broadcast addresses.

I would suggest moving hosts to a /24 that doesn't overlap with the existing /22.

e.g.

gateway device

interface someEthernet #

ip address 192.168.1.1 255.255.252.0

ip address 192.168.4.1 255.255.255.0 secondary

When you've migrated, remove the /22. At that point you could either make the new /24 the primary, or migrate to another /24 within the original /22 address block.

Views
Helpful
Replies