cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Different way to create redundancy between two Switches (at Layer2 and Layer3) or two Routers

Dear Team,

We all know about redundancy being the best part to keep your network active and health all the time. My concern is to get more and more details about how we can get redundancy between two switches or two routers using L2 or L3 protocols/technology.

I would be pleased to have more details about below:

Different ways to get redundancy between 6500 Switches? I know about HSRP...

Different ways to get redundancy between Routers?

How I can have redundancy at L2 Level?

More ref. links regarding this topic will be highly appreciated...

Please buckle up to give detail answer

Thanks,

Yaseen                  

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Lei Tian
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Yaseen,

Just throw some ideas about this topic. For layer 2 redundancy, you have spanning-tree, backup interface,VSS, vPC, FabricPath, TRILL, and other multi-chassis etherchannel technology; For first hop redundancy, you have HSRP, VRRP, GLBP; For layer 3 redundancy, you have equal cost multi-path supported on all routing protocol.

HTH,

Lei Tian

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Lei Tian
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Yaseen,

Just throw some ideas about this topic. For layer 2 redundancy, you have spanning-tree, backup interface,VSS, vPC, FabricPath, TRILL, and other multi-chassis etherchannel technology; For first hop redundancy, you have HSRP, VRRP, GLBP; For layer 3 redundancy, you have equal cost multi-path supported on all routing protocol.

HTH,

Lei Tian

Thanks for your response.

But I would like to have more command base response so that I can check through the devices for their redundancy status etc. I know about HSRP through show ip standby brief command. And would be pleased to know how I can check it for routers redundancy through routing protocols output.

Regards,

Yaseen

Wilson Bonilla
Level 3
Level 3

Yaseen.

You may find this doc interesting, it talks about how to keep you network available and healthy all the time.

Best Practice Recommendations.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst6500/ios/12.2SX/best/practices/recommendations.html

Regards.

Wilson B.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card