Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Disabling IP Sec VPN tunnels

Hello All,

I have several site-to-site IPSEC VPN tunnels configured on a Cisco router.

For testing purposes, I want to disable the tunnels without deleting their configuration

Just want to shut them down individually, then bring them back up, without otherwise affecting any
other operations.

Is it feasible to accomplish the above request?

if yes, Please let me know the IOS Commands.

Regards,

Thiyagarajan

4 REPLIES

Re: Disabling IP Sec VPN tunnels

Hi,

If it's a tunnel that has the Security Associations up but it's not in used you can issue:

clear cry sa peer x.x.x.x

However if it's a working tunnel, any interesting traffic will bring the tunnel back up.

Is this what you're looking for? Delete the SAs for tunnels based on the remote IP?

Federico.

Hello Experts,

I want to disable one of many IPSEC VPN configured on the router temporarily.

I do not want to change the configuation.

If I change the sa parameters to disable VPN again I have to configure it bring up the tunnel.

Is there any command which will disable VPN?

Regards,

T.K

Maybe I was not clear.

By deleting the SAs you're not changing the configuration.

You are deleting the tunnel activity.

You don't need to do anything to bring the tunnel back up (besides sending traffic through the tunnel) which is something you have to do anyway to have the tunnel up and working.

If you're asking for a button that will say deactivate tunnel.. I have not seen it.

Federico.

Hall of Fame Super Silver

When I read the original post I thought that the goal was to disable all VPN tunnels. One easy way to do that would be to remove the crypto map from the outbound interface. And you could restart the VPN tunnels by configuring the crypto map back onto the outbound interface.

But if I understand the follow up post correctly, then TK has several tunnels and wants to disable only one of them (leaving the other tunnels working). I am not aware of a way to do that directly. One approach that I would suggest would be to change the configuration of the ISAKMP key for that particular peer to a different (incorrect) value and then to clear the crypto session for that peer. This would result in that one tunnel not coming up. And to restrart the tunnel you would configure the correct ISAKMP key for that peer.

The original request was to be able to disable the tunnel with no config changes. I am not aware of a way to do that. And this involves only changing one (pretty simple) config parameter.

HTH

Rick

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content