cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Distance vector Routing protocols

jonk34567
Level 4
Level 4

What two things will a router do when running a distance vector routing protocol? (Choose two.)
A. Send periodic updates regardless of topology changes.
B. Send entire routing table to all routers in the routing domain.
C. Use the shortest-path algorithm to the determine best path.
D. Update the routing table based on updates from their neighbors.
E. Maintain the topology of the entire network in its database.

7 Replies 7

Hi

It should be A and D, 

RIP sends updates after 30 seconds and the updates are considered routing by rumor. 

>> Marcar como útil o contestado, si la respuesta resolvió la duda, esto ayuda a futuras consultas de otros miembros de la comunidad. <<

Julio

Really??? A Distance Vector protocol uses Shortest Path?

I think this is a poorly written question. I think that clearly choices C and E describe Link State protocols. D is clearly a DV and I believe that the question write meant A to be the other choice but I have problems with the phrase "regardless of topology changes" (think about triggered updates). B looked like a reasonable choice for DV until I got to the part about " all routers in the routing domain" (remembering that DV sends updates only to its connected neighbors.

HTH

Rick 

HTH

Rick

Apologies, I mean: A, that was the reason to mention the 30 sec of RIP. 

Fixed, I don't know why I mentioned C hehe

Thank you Richard. 

>> Marcar como útil o contestado, si la respuesta resolvió la duda, esto ayuda a futuras consultas de otros miembros de la comunidad. <<

Julio

I knew that there had to be an explanation for the response. For a long time I have depended on responses from you to be insightful and correct. This was a major departure from that. Glad that we have got it straightened out.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Thank you so much Richard, I really appreciate that. 

Have a great day

:-)

jonk34567
Level 4
Level 4

what about "B". which routing protocol sends its entire routing table to neighbors

Hi

The option B cannot be an answer, it is partially true on distance vector protocols, because currently we have 2 distance vector protocols: RIP and EIGRP, but EIGRP is considered an Advanced Distance Vector protocol, this protocol send changes only, not the entire routing table like RIP does. 

So option B is not eligible for an answer.

:-)

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card