cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Distributed EtherChannel

ngthen
Level 1
Level 1

I know I can use Link Aggregation 802.3ad on a single switch, however can I create a link between two switches and use a port from each switch in the etherchannel group?  This feature is similar to HP's new distributed trunking which does this very thing.  I have two 6509 switches and all of my HP servers have 2 NICs.  I would like to make it so that if a NIC or switch dies then communications keep working.

7 Replies 7

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

ngthen@moonark.com

I know I can use Link Aggregation 802.3ad on a single switch, however can I create a link between two switches and use a port from each switch in the etherchannel group?  This feature is similar to HP's new distributed trunking which does this very thing.  I have two 6509 switches and all of my HP servers have 2 NICs.  I would like to make it so that if a NIC or switch dies then communications keep working.

You can do this on -

1) 3750 switches using multichassis etherchannel

2) 6500 switches using VSS

3) Nexus switches using VPCs (Virtual Port Channels)

on all other Cisco switches the ports in the etherchannel must be on the same switch.

Jon

Do you have any examples of how to set it up on a 6500?

ngthen@moonark.com

Do you have any examples of how to set it up on a 6500?

Do you have VSS capable supervisors ? Note that VSS on the 6500 requires different supervisors and also has limitations on which modules can be run in the chassis.

So are you running VSS on your 6500s ?

Jon

I think so... assuming that I am how would I set it up

ngthen@moonark.com

I think so... assuming that I am how would I set it up

You configure it as you would a normal etherchannel and as long as VSS is setup the system will recognise it as a MEC (Multichassis Etherchannel) if you include ports off both switches.

Jon

Sweet...  So essentially I am just "stacking" two 6500s together.  Thus I could have one uplink on one switch and one on the other back to my building back bone for redundancy.

ngthen@moonark.com

Sweet...  So essentially I am just "stacking" two 6500s together.  Thus I could have one uplink on one switch and one on the other back to my building back bone for redundancy.

VSS in effect makes 2 separate 6500 swithes appear as one logical switch to other devices so yes you can have an etherchannel that is spread across both chassis.

Jon

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card