Views
Helpful
Replies

Diverting the network traffic

techguy
Level 4
Level 4

Hi,

Our service provider is giving us the connectivity between main and remote site by keeping one router. We dont have control on that router. No internet is working through that router.

We have internet running by one modem which is direct into the switch.

Now the problem is that at one time, either internet will work or central application. Keeping in view that i cant lay cable from internet modem to service provider router as i dont have access to get into the same.

Is it possible that one install one more cisco router by own and put dsl cable into ADSL card and one cable from SP router to our router and one for lan?

If so, do i need to divert the traffice? Thanks

7 Replies 7

Hi Omer,

If you switch is manageable switch, then make too separate VLAN.

One for internet and another for INTRANET (VPN or your central application).

Alternatively,

Get a router on which your Internet circuit will terminate.

Then for all the internet traffic ( i.e static default route) your ADSL will be used.

And for your INTRANET traffic configure static route pointing to next hop as your service provider's router.

HTH,

Smiteshh

Switch should be L3 ? If L2 then how?

No need to differentiate that traffice through Access List ? Route map command

Access-List and Route-map can be used, but that depends how is the IP addressing scheme deployed...

Regards,

Smitesh

But IP address scheme will be same. Lets say Lan users haave 192.168.1.X/24 ip addresses. How can we differentiate the traffic? i mean to say how will a pc knows that to access internet it will go out from ADSL port and to access application it will go out from lets say fastethernet port. Thanks

Can you give code

Hi Omer,

Lets say IP address of the application you are trying to reach  is 1.1.1.1

then, your routing table should look something like

ip route 1.1.1.1 255.255.255.255

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0

HTH,

Smitesh

thank you very much. If i want to do this with access list and route map then would it be.

Hi Omer,

Yes you can have PBR, but personally I have opinion of not using PBR unless very neccessary or say no other way.

In your scenario, I didn't felt nessecity of using PBR.

Well, for PBR your config should be something like below:

ip access 101

route-map PBR

match ip address 101

set ip next-hop

HTH,

Smitesh

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card