Views
Helpful
Replies

Dix, ethernet

sarahr202
Level 5
Level 5

Hi  every body.

I am studying about dix( first ethernet).  I just want to know   when dix  was first invented, diid it  support ip protocol  i.e  were there any  type value for ip protocol in first dix?

thanks  and have a good day

3 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Sara,

Here is some explanation:

The original Ethernet is called Experimental Ethernet today. It was developed by Robert Metcalfe in 1972 (patented in 1978) and was based in part on the wireless ALOHAnet protocol. The first Ethernet that was generally used outside Xerox was DIX Ethernet, followed by Ethernet II. IEEE defines a 802.3 standard where the Type field is replaced by Length, and an 802.2 LLC header follows with the Type field. However, as DIX Ethernet was derived from Experimental Ethernet, and as many standards have been developed that are based on DIX Ethernet, the technical community has accepted the term Ethernet for all of them. Therefore, the term Ethernet can be used to name networks using any of the following standardized media and functions:

HTH

Reza

View solution in original post

Ganesh Hariharan
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi  every body.

I am studying about dix( first ethernet).  I just want to know   when dix  was first invented, diid it  support ip protocol  i.e  were there any  type value for ip protocol in first dix?

Hi,

Check out the below link

http://www.electriciansparadise.com/ethernethistory.html

Hope to Help !!

Ganesh.H

Remember to rate helpful post

Hi, Sarah:

Im not too confident that you will find an authoritative answer regarding such a minute bit of technical trivia. I'm also not too sure of the value of that piece of information to boot, although I do respect your intellectual curiosity in general.

I would guess that DIX Ethernet did indeed support the encapsualation of IP. IP was standardized a bit before DIX was....

HTH

Victor

5 Replies 5

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Sara,

Here is some explanation:

The original Ethernet is called Experimental Ethernet today. It was developed by Robert Metcalfe in 1972 (patented in 1978) and was based in part on the wireless ALOHAnet protocol. The first Ethernet that was generally used outside Xerox was DIX Ethernet, followed by Ethernet II. IEEE defines a 802.3 standard where the Type field is replaced by Length, and an 802.2 LLC header follows with the Type field. However, as DIX Ethernet was derived from Experimental Ethernet, and as many standards have been developed that are based on DIX Ethernet, the technical community has accepted the term Ethernet for all of them. Therefore, the term Ethernet can be used to name networks using any of the following standardized media and functions:

HTH

Reza

Thanks Reza.

My intention  was to  find out if original  dix ethernet   supported  ip. inderstand  how  the ethernet standards  were evovled.

But the question  dix ethernet supported the ip or not?

thanks a lot.

Ganesh Hariharan
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi  every body.

Hi,

Check out the below link

http://www.electriciansparadise.com/ethernethistory.html

Hope to Help !!

Ganesh.H

Remember to rate helpful post

Hi, Sarah:

Im not too confident that you will find an authoritative answer regarding such a minute bit of technical trivia. I'm also not too sure of the value of that piece of information to boot, although I do respect your intellectual curiosity in general.

I would guess that DIX Ethernet did indeed support the encapsualation of IP. IP was standardized a bit before DIX was....

HTH

Victor

thanks victor.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card