cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Do I need to fit a conditioning patch cable?

stevesmith94
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have 2 Catalyst 3750E series switches and need to connect them to each other. I would like to connect them using a 10 GB link via the existing Multimode fibre available (62.5 micron core). However, this cable is between to fibre patch panels approx 100 m apart. I would like to use the X2-10GB-LRM adaptors, but depending on which datasheet I read, I'm unsure weather i need to use conditioning patch cables at each end. I'm guessing these would be CAB-GELX-625 if required, although some datasheets say you only need them over 300 m? Confussed!!

Any pointers would be much appriciated.

Thanks,

Steve

3 Replies 3

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Steve,

you should be fine in connecting using 100 meters fiber, the problem with single mode is when the fiber cable is too short and the signal can saturate the receiver so an attenuator is introduced.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Hi Giuseppe,

So the fact im using multimode fibre and multimode patch cables, I shouldn't need to attenuate the singal, thus removing the requirement for conditioning patches?

Steve

Steve,

With MM fiber and MM patch panel and your distance you are good to go.  No need for to attenuate the signals

HTH

Reza

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco