Level 3
Level 3

Do i really upgrade 100mbps  to gig switch ,what is the high time to move Gig 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Nearly all Cisco switches sold are GigabitEthernet so you don't really have a choice.  

The question of to-gig-or-not-to-gig has long been resolved.   A lot of applications couple by the high speed of hard drives can really have an impact on a network running FastEthernet to the desktop.  

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Nearly all Cisco switches sold are GigabitEthernet so you don't really have a choice.  

The question of to-gig-or-not-to-gig has long been resolved.   A lot of applications couple by the high speed of hard drives can really have an impact on a network running FastEthernet to the desktop.  

susim
Level 3
Level 3

Hi

can you elaborate how the HDD speed and network speed related to ?

In the olden days (about 10 years ago), the problem with FastEthernet speed was that there was more than enough to feed a PC.  The CPU was too slow.  The HDD was too slow in reading/writing.

Now with multi-core CPU and very fast SCSI or solid state drives, PCs can now chew the bandwidth way above FastEthernet.  I am not saying that a PC can use up to 1 Gbps.  What I am implying is PCs and laptops nowadays can be seen pushing above 100 Mbps with relative ease.  

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card