Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Do i really upgrade 100mbps to gig switch

Do i really upgrade 100mbps  to gig switch ,what is the high time to move Gig 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Hall of Fame Super Gold

Nearly all Cisco switches

Nearly all Cisco switches sold are GigabitEthernet so you don't really have a choice.  

The question of to-gig-or-not-to-gig has long been resolved.   A lot of applications couple by the high speed of hard drives can really have an impact on a network running FastEthernet to the desktop.  

3 REPLIES
Hall of Fame Super Gold

Nearly all Cisco switches

Nearly all Cisco switches sold are GigabitEthernet so you don't really have a choice.  

The question of to-gig-or-not-to-gig has long been resolved.   A lot of applications couple by the high speed of hard drives can really have an impact on a network running FastEthernet to the desktop.  

Hican you elaborate how the

Hi

can you elaborate how the HDD speed and network speed related to ?

Hall of Fame Super Gold

In the olden days (about 10

In the olden days (about 10 years ago), the problem with FastEthernet speed was that there was more than enough to feed a PC.  The CPU was too slow.  The HDD was too slow in reading/writing.

Now with multi-core CPU and very fast SCSI or solid state drives, PCs can now chew the bandwidth way above FastEthernet.  I am not saying that a PC can use up to 1 Gbps.  What I am implying is PCs and laptops nowadays can be seen pushing above 100 Mbps with relative ease.  

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content