cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Does 7600-ES+4TG3CXL require particular slot in 7600?

prima.ramadhan
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

I am just wondering whether 7600-ES+4TG3CXL need to be put on a particular slot like the RSP (e.g. slot 5 or 6 on 7606) or not? Can not find the document that state it yet. Does this has anything to do with the pin length at the backplane of the chassis? If you see, there's some length difference between the pin on slot 2 and the rest (on 7606). Slot no 2 seems to have longer pin. Does this has anything to do with some particular line card, or not? Thanks.

Regards,

Even

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

marikakis
Level 7
Level 7

Hi,

I am not very familiar with this platform, but since I read the documentation anyway for other purposes, I will post my findings regarding slots 1 and 2, and Giuseppe probably can confirm if those are correct or am I missing something.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/routers/7600/Hardware/Chassis_Installation/7600_Series_Router_Installation_Guide/osr_over.html#wp1086312

"A Supervisor Engine 2 in slot 1 and an optional redundant Supervisor Engine 2 in slot 2."

https://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/routers/7600/Hardware/Hardware_Guides/Supervisor_Engine_and_Route_Switch_Processor_Guide/SupE02_ps368_TSD_Products_Installation_Guide_Chapter.html#wp1116649

"In Cisco IOS Release 12.2SR and later releases, the Supervisor Engine 2 is no longer supported on Cisco 7600 series routers."

My understanding is that those slots (1,2) might indeed be different. As far as I know, the most dangerous thing to do is to insert a bus master card in a slot that is not intended for such cards. Not that the opposite is recommended, but a bus master card might under certain circumstances 'burn' the naive backplane. To keep things safe, my general advice is to try to seat cards gently and tenderly, instead of trying to push their way into a slot. Typically, if a card is not intended for a particular slot, it won't be easy to insert it there.

Kind Regards,

Maria

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Even,

the data sheet does not provide specific notes about slots to be used

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/routers/ps368/data_sheet_c78-549419.html

However, there is a note about SW licences:

Cisco 7600 Series ES Plus Advanced IP License

The Advanced IP license entitles you to use Cisco IOS Software Release 12.2SR on the Cisco 7600 Series ES Plus Line Cards with the following functions in addition to the Basic license:

• 6VPE

• Layer 3 IP/MPLS VPN

• MVPN

• One Advanced IP license is needed for each of the ES Plus line cards in the system where these features are enabled.

The Advanced IP license does not entitle you to use features contained in the Optical Transport Network, Intelligent Services Gateway, or Video Services Licenses on the Cisco 7600 Series ES Plus Line Cards.

So you may need to purchase this license to use the linecard
Hope to help
Giuseppe

marikakis
Level 7
Level 7

Hi,

I am not very familiar with this platform, but since I read the documentation anyway for other purposes, I will post my findings regarding slots 1 and 2, and Giuseppe probably can confirm if those are correct or am I missing something.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/routers/7600/Hardware/Chassis_Installation/7600_Series_Router_Installation_Guide/osr_over.html#wp1086312

"A Supervisor Engine 2 in slot 1 and an optional redundant Supervisor Engine 2 in slot 2."

https://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/routers/7600/Hardware/Hardware_Guides/Supervisor_Engine_and_Route_Switch_Processor_Guide/SupE02_ps368_TSD_Products_Installation_Guide_Chapter.html#wp1116649

"In Cisco IOS Release 12.2SR and later releases, the Supervisor Engine 2 is no longer supported on Cisco 7600 series routers."

My understanding is that those slots (1,2) might indeed be different. As far as I know, the most dangerous thing to do is to insert a bus master card in a slot that is not intended for such cards. Not that the opposite is recommended, but a bus master card might under certain circumstances 'burn' the naive backplane. To keep things safe, my general advice is to try to seat cards gently and tenderly, instead of trying to push their way into a slot. Typically, if a card is not intended for a particular slot, it won't be easy to insert it there.

Kind Regards,

Maria

Hello Maria,

yes as discussed in another recent thread, slots 1 and 2 are the ones to be used with supervisors 1A or 2.

Sup 720 have to be installed in slot 5 or slot 6.

I had missed this point: I had been using C6500 with sup2 for many years and now I'm surrounded almost only by sup720!

The reason for this is that Sup720 integrates the switching fabric SFM (actually a 720 Gbps matrix) that it is not present in older supervisors but existed as a separated linecard to be

installed in slots (5 and/or 6 only sup2 supports SFM) .

see

https://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/routers/7600/Hardware/Hardware_Guides/7600_Series_Router_Module_Guide/11swfabm_ps368_TSD_Products_Module_Installation_Guide_Chapter.html#wp1041281

Switch Fabric Module 2 (WS-X6500-SFM2)

The Switch Fabric Module 2 (WS-X6500-SFM2) can be installed in any Cisco 7600 series router. (See Figure 11-2.) The Switch Fabric Module 2 requires Supervisor Engine 2 and must be installed in slot 5 or slot 6 of the Cisco 7606, Cisco 7609, or OSR-7609 routers, or in slot 7 or slot 8 of the Cisco 7613 router.

SFM2 should give 256 Gbps matrix

Dramatic progress in electronics allowed for this.

Even:

this explains why you see a different pinout on slot1 and slot2.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Hi Maria and Guiseppe,

Thanks for your response.

A little bit confusion here

So, what I can conclude is that slot 1 and 2 have different pinout than the other slot because it was needed to host SUP2 right? and SUP2 doesnt have integrated switch fabric, so we must install it separately from the supervisor (the SFM which installed on slot 5 or 6). But nowadays, newer supervisors have the switch fabric integrated right? Therefore, those later version of supervisors need to be installed on slot 5 or 6. Is my understanding correct?

Regards,

Even

Yes, that is correct.

Regards,

jerry

Thanks for your answers guys. Really clear some doubts.

Regards,

Even

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card