cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Does a 6513 still make sense

angel-moon
Level 3
Level 3

We have a customer with enterprise level needs but budget constraints. Currently they have a datacenter that consists of stacked 3524 switches No jokes please).  They are looking at purchasing some used 6513 chassis along with some Sup1 or Sup2 engines.  They are looking at throwing a firewall module in along with an IPS module.  They are hellbent on the 6513s.  Can anyone help me with arguments against this route or even for this route if it is valid.  They do plan to upgrade the Sups at some point.

Thanks in advance!  All replies rated.

9 Replies 9

burleyman
Level 8
Level 8

Well it is not EOL so that is good. What is your reasoning for not wanting the 6513? It is a good reliable switch, we had one for our main data center and when we upgraded to 6509-vss we sent it off to our DR site where it is still running great.

Mike

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

angel-moon wrote:

We have a customer with enterprise level needs but budget constraints. Currently they have a datacenter that consists of stacked 3524 switches No jokes please).  They are looking at purchasing some used 6513 chassis along with some Sup1 or Sup2 engines.  They are looking at throwing a firewall module in along with an IPS module.  They are hellbent on the 6513s.  Can anyone help me with arguments against this route or even for this route if it is valid.  They do plan to upgrade the Sups at some point.

Thanks in advance!  All replies rated.

That's quite a step up from 3524 switches. Nothing wrong with the 6513 chassis as Mike says, but if they have budget constraints why are they considering the FWSM & the IDS-M. These modules are not cheap and a standalone ASA could do both functions. Do they really need the 5Gbps throughput of the FWSM ?

As for the Sups, well you can only purchase sup32/sup720 now. Definitely do not go with Sup1's if you can help it. Sup2's are better but you are still restricted in terms of throughput but this may not be an issue depending on the linecards you populate the switch with.

Without more information as to their requirements/reasoning it's difficult to say more.

Edit - if they really do have Enterprise level needs then they will have to pay for them. It may seem like a cost saving in the short term but it is a very short-sighted approach.

Jon

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I'm not going to make a joke about 3500XL-EN because I know of an Australian government security agency who still uses these legacy appliance for their core, distribution and access (yup all three in one stack!  So I trump your "joke".).  6513 classic or "E"?  Wow, Sup1 or Sup2, really?  I think you get a better performance if you get a 48-port Cisco 3750 plain or the newer 3750X.  The 3750E would've been suitable too if their price weren't that expensive.  The 3750 can do layer 2/layer 3 so it's a good fit for a data centre.

Cisco Catalyst 3750-X and 3560-X Series Switches Data Sheet
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/switches/ps5718/ps6406/data_sheet_c78-584733.html

Thanks everyone.  The ones they are looking at are the "Classics" but they are now look

ing at Sup32s at least.  In the long term they need the density of 10/100/1000 ports that they can get on a 6513.  They also want a dual setup.   2 switches with dual Sups.  All of this equipment is going to be used, which I am not a huge fan of either.

The 3750X has a 64Gb backplane (half duplex).

Pronoy Dasgupta
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I would say that Leo is right. With the budget contraints a 6k might not be the right choice for them. Anyhow, if the 3524 is able to still keep up with the amount of traffic in their network, then a 3750 would be able to easily handle it. the normal 3750 has 32 Gig backplane speed, where as the E series switches have 64 Gig backplane speed (notice that in the CLI output this is still listed as 32).

pompeychimes
Level 4
Level 4

Give Juniper a look.

Juniper?? blasphemy!!!!!

Sorry I couldn't resist!

6513's are great, I ran a data center off of one and it is a solid solid switch!

You have to ask what services they need from a  L3 switch. There are things a 6500 switch can do that a 3750 stack can't . Have you considered a 4507R? Do you need Qos? stuff like that.

They are looking at the 6513 Classic and are even now looking at dual Sup720's in each switch for redundancy with Failover between the 2 switches.  They will need some basic QoS for Voice traffic.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: