Views
Helpful
Replies

Does Access-List block Routing updates

new_networker
Level 1
Level 1

hi,

If I were to put an access-list deny ip any any, would it block any routing updates as well via the dynamic routing protocols.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

For OSPF:

access-list 100 permit ospf any any

For EIGRP:

access-list 100 permit eigrp any any

For BGP:

access-list 100 permit tcp any any eq 179

or

access-list 100 permit tcp any eq 179 any

depending on the direction you apply the access-list.

Cheers:

Istvan

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Istvan_Rabai
Level 7
Level 7

Yes, definitely.

You should permit the proper routing protocol packets in the access-list if you want them to pass the access-list.

The acl statement permitting the routing protocol should be before the "deny ip any any" statement, of course.

Cheers:

Istvan

So if I were to permit routing updates via BGP, OSPF and RIP what would the access-list be like.

Thanks.

For OSPF:

access-list 100 permit ospf any any

For EIGRP:

access-list 100 permit eigrp any any

For BGP:

access-list 100 permit tcp any any eq 179

or

access-list 100 permit tcp any eq 179 any

depending on the direction you apply the access-list.

Cheers:

Istvan

If the access list is applied inbound then Istvan is correct that an access list would deny the routing protocol packets unless there is a permit statement for them. However if the access list is applied outbound then the access list will not block the routing protocol packets (no matter whether there is a permit statement for them or not).

This is one of the odd things about access lists. An outbound access list does not examine (and will not block) any traffic that is generated by the router itself.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Hi Rick,

Thank you for your addition.

I really forgot to mention this.

Cheers:

Istvan

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card