Views
Helpful
Replies

Does ASR 1001-X support Twinax cables ?

Martin Hruby
Level 1
Level 1

Dear colleagues

I'm ordering a bunch of ASR 1001-X routers which now have two 10G ports. I plan to connect the ASR to the existing 10G infrastructure by using Twinax cables (e.g. SFP-H10GB-CU3M). I was not able to find these under the list of supported modules however, see here: http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/routers/asr1000/install/guide/1001-x/asr1hig/asr1_hw2.html

Can anyone confirm if 10G Twinax cabling is supported on the ASR 1001-X platform?

Thanks a lot.

Best regards,
Martin

4 Replies 4

Mark Malone
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Martin

I don't see them supported in the 10GB compatibility matrix for ASRs and this sheet is usually bang on was only updated 2 days ago

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/interfaces_modules/transceiver_modules/compatibility/matrix/10GE_Tx_Matrix.html#_Toc450654309

Mike Parker
Level 1
Level 1

I can confirm that they do not work as expected.  I tried using the twinax cables to connect 2 ASR 1001-x routers to Nexus 5548 switches.  The links would come up and work for the most part but the ASR router would not detect a link failure for over a full minute.  I switched my connections to fiber SFP modules and the behavior changed to what I normally expect.  Bummer that they won't work, would be much cheaper.

So I have one more thing to add to this post now.  I opened a case with TAC and they told me that starting with 16.3.1 there would be support for the twinax on the asr1001x.  I have upgraded my IOS from the test in my previous post from 3.16.04a to 16.3.1a and I can confirm that they do link and behave as you would expect them to.  I am connecting from the ASR1001x to 5548 nexus switches using a vPC and it works correctly on the new code.  Link up/down is now detected correctly.

Hi Mike

Thanks a lot for the info! It's a shame that they decided to only start supporting twinax now, as I've had to deliver most of my ASRs with fiber optic cabling. Anyway I believe this was the right thing to do.

Best regards,
Martin

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card