cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Does CatOS support loopback error detection feature?

snakayama
Level 3
Level 3

Hello everyone,

I have a question about whether CatOS supports "loopback error detection".

With Cat IOS, for example Cat2960G, when the Cat IOS detects loopback error, it generates the following syslog message

%PM-4-ERR_DISABLE: loopback error detected on xx/xx, putting xx/xx in err-disable state

and puts the interface(s) on which the Cat IOS detects loopback error into err-disable state.

I don't know, however, CatOS supports same feature or not.

I saw the following documents on CCO.

Errdisable Port State Recovery on the Cisco IOS Platforms
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/tech/tk389/tk621/technologies_tech_note09186a00806cd87b.shtml

Recovering From errDisable Port State on the CatOS Platforms
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/tech/tk389/tk214/technologies_tech_note09186a0080093dcb.shtml#ed_causes

I could find that "Errdisable Port State Recovery on the Cisco IOS Platforms" explains about "Loopback error" but "Recovering From errDisable Port State on the CatOS Platforms" does not.

CatOS version is 8.2(2).

Do you know whether the CatOS supports loopback error detection feature?

Your information would be appreciated.

Best regards,

Shinichi

4 Replies 4

Ganesh Hariharan
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hello everyone,

I have a question about whether CatOS supports "loopback error detection".

With Cat IOS, for example Cat2960G, when the Cat IOS detects loopback error, it generates the following syslog message

%PM-4-ERR_DISABLE: loopback error detected on xx/xx, putting xx/xx in err-disable state

and puts the interface(s) on which the Cat IOS detects loopback error into err-disable state.

I don't know, however, CatOS supports same feature or not.

I saw the following documents on CCO.

Errdisable Port State Recovery on the Cisco IOS Platforms
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/tech/tk389/tk621/technologies_tech_note09186a00806cd87b.shtml

Recovering From errDisable Port State on the CatOS Platforms
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/tech/tk389/tk214/technologies_tech_note09186a0080093dcb.shtml#ed_causes

I could find that "Errdisable Port State Recovery on the Cisco IOS Platforms" explains about "Loopback error" but "Recovering From errDisable Port State on the CatOS Platforms" does not.

CatOS version is 8.2(2).

Do you know whether the CatOS supports loopback error detection feature?

Your information would be appreciated.

Best regards,

Shinichi

Hi Shinichi,

To enable the errDisable recovery mechanism on CatOS, the errdisable-timeout enable configuration command is used, which can enable the feature for some or all conditions that can cause an errDisable state

Check out the below example how to do the same

Console> (enable) set errdisable-timeout enable ?

bpdu-guard                 BPDU Port-guard

channel-misconfig          Channel misconfiguration

udld                       UDLD

other                      Reasons other than the above

all                        Apply errDisable timeout to all reasons

Console> (enable) set errdisable-timeout enable all

Successfully enabled errdisable-timeout for all.

After enabling errDisable recovery, if an errDisable event occurs, you can use the show errdisable recovery (Cisco IOS) and show errdisable-timeout (CatOS) commands to determine exactly what caused an errDisable event.

Hope to Help !!

Ganesh.H

Remember to rate the helpful post

Hi Ganesh.H,

First of all, thank you very much for your qucik reply.

Do you means that I should occur loopback error situation and confirm that the cause of errDisable by doing the operation you said and if the cause of errDisable shows loopback error, I can recognize that the CatOS supports it?

Do you know any documents which explain the CatOS supports loopback error detection?

Best regards,

Shinichi

Hi Ganesh.H,

First of all, thank you very much for your qucik reply.

Do you means that I should occur loopback error situation and confirm that the cause of errDisable by doing the operation you said and if the cause of errDisable shows loopback error, I can recognize that the CatOS supports it?

Do you know any documents which explain the CatOS supports loopback error detection?

Best regards,

Shinich

Hi Shinich,

Once you have confirmed that a port has been disabled, the next step is to determine why the port was disabled and what could be the reason for diabling. You could re-enable the port at this point; however, it is more than likely that the problem will manifest itself again.

Cisco Catalyst switches possess an errDisable recovery mechanism, where a timer can be invoked that automatically re-enables a port that has been shut down due to an errDisable condition. Although this feature is primarily used for recovery purposes, it also allows administrators to determine the exact reason why a port has been disabled. When errDisable recovery is enabled, the switch keeps track of the interfaces currently in an errDisable state and the conditions that caused the errDisable state to be invoked.

Check out the below link on err-disable port recovery on cat os

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk389/tk621/technologies_tech_note09186a00806cd87b.shtml

Hope to Help !!

Ganesh.H

Remember to rate the helpful post

Hello,

According to the URL of your infomation,

---

・Loopback error

Keepalives are sent on all interfaces by default in Cisco IOS Software Release 12.1EA-based software.

In Cisco IOS Software Release 12.2SE-based software and later, keepalives are not sent by default on fiber and uplink interfaces.

---

Does it support CatOS 8.2(2) of Cat6K??

Regards,

Reiji

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card