Views
Helpful
Replies

Does MSS get increased with "ip tcp adjust-mss" command

josephjthomas
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I just needed more insite into the function of the ip tcp adjust-mss command which can be used to adjust the MSS value in the tcp syn packet which passes that interface.

But here is a question which I had. Consider that i have two sets of systems in my LAN one with an MTU value of 1300 ( MSS 1260 ) and with a MTU of 1500 ( MSS -1460 ). If I go ahead and put an ip tcp adjust-mss 1456 (for reducing the packet size from 1500 to 1496)  on the WAN . Does the command only lower the MSS for the set of systems which have 1460 or will it also increase the MSS in the tcp syn packets send by systems with MSS of 1260 ( which can potentially break some communication ).

JJT

1 Reply 1

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The  Author of this posting offers the information contained within this  posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that  there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose.  Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not  be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this  posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In  no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including,  without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out  of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author  has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

It should not decrease mss below what's adjust-mss is configured for.  For example, if you use ip tcp adjust-mss 1456, it should only adjust if packet's mss is 1457 or larger.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card