Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Webcast-Catalyst9k

Does WS-C6704-10GE support WS-F6K-DFC4-AXL?

Hi guys,

I'm a bit confused here.

Here it says that you can upgrade WS-C6704-10GE with DFC4-AXL http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst6500/hardware/Config_Notes/OL_24918.pdf (Table 2)

But here WS-C6704-10GE is not listed as compatible with DFC4-AXL http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst6500/hardware/Module_Installation/Mod_Install_Guide/6500-emig/0adtrcrd.pdf (Table A2)

Also I was unable to add WS-F6K-DFC4-AXL to WS-C6704-10GE in the configuration tool.

I would be grateful if anyone could shed some light on it.

Everyone's tags (4)
5 REPLIES
Hall of Fame Super Gold

I don't understand what you

I don't understand what you are trying to do.  

If you are costing for a line card for a Sup2T, then why not go and price up WS-X6908-10G-2T?

Let's assume that 6704 is

Let's assume that 6704 is mandatory.

Hall of Fame Super Gold

No, you need to tell me the

No, you need to tell me the model of your supervisor card.  Why does this matter, let me explain:  

6704 is a 4-port line card that can push up to 40 Gbps.  ideally, you'll find this line card with the Sup720.  Installed together into a 6500 chassis, the Sup720 can support a 40 Gbps backplane which a 6704-10G can easily push at wire rate (non-blocking). 

Now, enter a Sup2T.  Stick the Sup2T into a 6500 chassis and the Sup2T can potentially move 80 Gbps of backplane.  So, why would anyone want to buy a line card that can push 40 Gbps and push it into a chassis with 80 Gbps backplane.  Doesn't make any sense.  

Okay, I'll try to explain.

Okay, I'll try to explain. Our customer is trying to save some money installing "cheaper" 10G cards. They managed to find money for Sup2T but not for line cards. My arguments explaining cost efficiency of 6908 were ignored.

Hall of Fame Super Gold

Ok, now you are making a lot

Ok, now you are making a lot of sense.  

Tell the client that sticking a 6704-10G with PFC4/DFC4 is more "expensive" because of the "real estate" of a slot in your chassis.  This option means you've potentially pushing a total of 40 Gbps when the slot can push 80 Gbps.  

Besides, you can tell the client this:  You will need to think about upgrading the chassis.  When you are using a chassis that is end-of-life/end-of-support, you will pay a penalty rate of 60% more (if memory serves me correct) in SmartNet.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content