cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

DSCP markings are being lost when traffic leaves switch?

andy roles
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I've just added the following commands to my 6509 switch -

mls qos

interface GigabitEthernet3/24

description *** DATA VLAN 35 - VOICE VLAN 34 ***

switchport

switchport trunk native vlan 33

switchport trunk allowed vlan 32,33

switchport mode trunk

mls qos trust dscp

no cdp enable

spanning-tree portfast trunk

!

I have a phone connected to this port and when I make calls the wireshark output (sniffing on same VLAN) show the markings as being present (e.g. DSCP = 46)

The upstream router (a Cisco 3845) has the following configuration:

!

class-map match-all IPVoice-Priority

match ip dscp ef

!

!

policy-map WAN_QoS

class IPVoice-Priority

priority 30000

class class-default

fair-queue

!

interface FastEthernet2/1

service-policy output WAN_QoS

when I make a VoIP call (that I know is traversing the WAN link connected to fa2/1) and run the command

show policy-map interface fastEthernet 2/0

The packet count isn't incrementing i.e. the traffic is not being identified and prioritised.  (I believe the DSCP markings are being set back to zero by the switch before the traffic leaves for the router)

The interesting thing is that if i remove the mls qos configuration from the 6509 switch the markings are left in tact and are making it to the upstream router and onwards on the WAN link.

My theory is that the switch is resetting the CoS or DSCP values before sending the traffic onwards to the router.

Can anybody tell me where I am going wrong?  i.e. how can I get the switch to trust CoS/DSCP markings as they leave the local VLAN on the 6509 switch?

16 Replies 16

Hi again Jon.

Yes - the CoS value on the phone is 5 and the phone I believe also set the DSCP value to 46.

Cheers,

Andy

Jon.  Although I've not got to the bottom of this yet your help on this has been invaluable.  I feel i've got a much better grip on this now and once the change freeze is over I'm feeling far more clear about how to continue trouble shooting.  I'll update the discussion once I can progress with this.

If you have any thoughts on my earlier responses that would be good to hear.

Thank you,

Andy

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card