cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Dual side vPC FEX design constraint

Devavrat Oka
Level 1
Level 1

So I've been reading Data Center Access Design with Cisco Nexus 5000 Series Switches and 2000 Series Fabric Extenders and Virtual PortChannels and came across a table that says dual homing FEXs to 5Ks is not supported when 2 5Ks and 2 7Ks are in a dual sided vPC topology.

Table 2 on page 8 of http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/switches/ps9441/ps9670/C07-572829-01_Design_N5K_N2K_vPC_DG.pdf

No Support for Fabric Extender DualHomed Design. I understand enhanced vPC is not supported on 7Ks yet. But it is on 5Ks. So if I dual home my 5Ks to 7Ks in a cross bar dual sided vPC topology, can I not dual home my FEXs to the 2 5Ks in a cross bar manner? Also, it says port channel teaming is not supported from servers. So does that mean if I have a server, can I not vPC it to both 5Ks using LACP or regular port-channel?

Maybe I'm reading it wrong, but would love some clarification!

1 Reply 1

Devavrat Oka
Level 1
Level 1

Now that I've read the entire document. Look at figure 42 on page 87. Dual sided vPC topology with enhanced vPC is a supported design. Guess I should've read through the doc.

Maybe the previous table had a pair of Nexus 5010/5020s that do not support enhanced vPC or perhaps it was a table before introducing enhaned vPC.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card