Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Community Member

Dumb switch

Quick question I need a dumb switch to plug into my internet providers router.

Going to run that switch in a conference room so outside folks can reach the internet. I have a 2900 series switch and want to turn that into a dumb switch. Is all that is needed is to wipe the config by doing write erase and that is it?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Hall of Fame Super Silver

Re: Dumb switch

In addition to erasing the running and saved IOS script, you may also want to erase the vlan.dat file in NVRAM. The commmand for that is "delete flash:vlan.dat". After both this and the "write erase" commands, you should perform a "reload".

See the detailed technote covering just this procedure at: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps607/products_tech_note09186a00800c4546.shtml#reset_switch

8 REPLIES

That should do it. I would double check and make sure HTTP is disabled, VTY lines are off, etc. You might want to consider 'hardening' the switch as well.

Community Member

ok sounds good, thank you for help. That sounded a little to easy but I appreciate your help!!!! thank you

Hi,

Remember to issue #dir and see if it has vlan.dat file, then you should delete this file. This will ensure this dumb switch does not have any previos/old vtp domain/vlan info.

Hope this helps !!

Shaheen

Hall of Fame Super Silver

In addition to erasing the running and saved IOS script, you may also want to erase the vlan.dat file in NVRAM. The commmand for that is "delete flash:vlan.dat". After both this and the "write erase" commands, you should perform a "reload".

See the detailed technote covering just this procedure at: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps607/products_tech_note09186a00800c4546.shtml#reset_switch

Community Member

Good catch thank you sir for that!!!

Community Member

Thank you both for your response much appreciated!!!!!

Super Bronze

One other suggestion, if your 2900 series switch supports VTP, you may want to configure it to ignore VTP.

Community Member

K will do thank you for that as well

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content